The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Issues - Using thunderbird

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Rmarmorstein, May 5, 2014.

1. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A few days ago, i stopped getting emails in my inbox in Thunderbird, this was odd, since I can still access the email in webmail just fine. A few more days went by, and i decided to try deleting and readding the accounts in thunderbird, but this did not work. I started getting authentication errors, thunderbird was telling me that my password was incorrect. I went and changed the password, just to be safe.. Still getting the error, That password works on Webmail.

This happened for 2 different email accounts, on 2 different domains on the server. I'm not sure what's wrong. I've tried restarting Exim and the other mail related processes, and no luck there.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Check to see if that email account is blocked by cPHulk Brute Force detection:

"WHM Home » Security Center » cPHulk Brute Force Protection"

Also, you can review /var/log/maillog when the authentication fails to determine the specific reason why it failed.

Thank you.

3. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPHulk is Disabled, and there are no IP's listed in the blacklist, and I flushed the DB for logins, still not working.

When I look in the log, I see a ton of entries that look like this..

There are a ton of those entries, for about the last ~3 Hours just in the window I can see, and I'm sure there has to be more, I'm not trying to login though, and those are not my failed login attempts.

The worst part is, I'm using my correct password. I can login to webmail just fine with the password I have..

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at this issue. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. Rmarmorstein

Rmarmorstein Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My Support Ticket Number is 4921371.

Do you have an estimated time-frame on resolving this? The email address is relatively important.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To update, it appears this issue was isolated to the Thunderbird email client. It was resolved by removing Thunderbird application data on the user's computer.

Thank you.