Email Legacy Server Setup?

Deepak Singh

Registered
Jun 16, 2016
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi

I am using cpanel email and zimbra as an email servers in my organisation.

The cpanel will be primary server and zimbra will be secondary or legacy server, I want if the account is not found on my primary server i.e. cpanel it should send that email to legacy server i.e. zimbra for delivery.

Please let me know how I can achieve this.

Regards,

Deepak Singh

Registered
Jun 16, 2016
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello :)

There's no native support for integrating Zimbra with cPanel & WHM as a backup/secondary email server. If you're interested in email redundancy, check out the information on the following feature request:

Thank you.
Hi

thanks for the response, well I am not talking about the integration part I want if any mail comes to cpanel and there is no such user so it should simply deliver that email to the external or specified smtp server if user exists then the normal delivery should occur.

Regards

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I want if any mail comes to cpanel and there is no such user so it should simply deliver that email to the external or specified smtp server if user exists then the normal delivery should occur.
Does the Default Address address your needs? This is a feature in cPanel that allows you to configure a single email address as the destination for any emails sent to non-existent email addresses under a domain:

You could enter a remote email address as part of the following option in this interface:

Forward to Email Address
Thank you.

rackaid

Jan 18, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Exim has a powerful router system for this type of use. However, I would worry that WHM may override you changes. You did not mention how many users you have to re-route. If the number is low, then using standard email forwarders in cPanel may work under this scenario.

I've not tested this but I think this should work for you. I've done similar things in sendmail and postfix.
  1. On your legacy server, add a new domain alias for your email, e.g. legacy.domain.com.
  2. In cpanel, setup a forwarder for the legacy user. Set the destination to [email protected].
  3. You will need to add the legacy domain to DNS or to the server's hostfile.
Now when someone emails [email protected], the email will arrive to your cpanel server and then be forwarded to the legacy server.

If you have a large number of users, using Exim's manual router system may be easier. You will need to make a manual route entry to route the specific emails to your legacy server.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Email 1
H Email 3
E Email 3
R Email 1
U Email 8