Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email location question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by JayMBS, Nov 20, 2018.

1. JayMBS

JayMBS Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello folks.

Let me start by saying that I do understand where the cPanel email is located on the file structure. (/home/<user>/mail/<domain.tld>/)

We have a unique situation. We took over an account that had an email migration and we have the following two folders under /home/<user>/mail/

1) domain.tld
    2) domain.tld.from.oldmail

The first is the actual domain. The second looks to be the folder that may have been used in the previous email migration.

My question is: Is it possible for cPanel to be pointing to *both* folders for email for the domain? - or can it ONLY be in the "domain.tld" folder?

I ask, because we'd like to remove any extraneous folders/files.

I thought about a script to try and find duplicates, however the folders are quite huge and the strain on traversing them might be too much.

For example here are the (outrageous) mailbox sizes:

1) domain.tld -> 30GB
    2) domain.tld.from.oldmail -> 24GB

Is there some definitive way to be sure that the 2nd folder is _not_ "in play" for email so we may delete it? (we don't want to rip it out and find out 3 months down the road the client needs an old email that they cannot find anymore).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I think I'd rename it at a minimum, or move it out of the way, and see if anything breaks. If not, compress and download for safe keeping. I'm not aware of any way for an account to be using both directories like that though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JayMBS

JayMBS Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    OK. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some setting I wasn't seeing that allowed distribution of email among multiple folders. As you indicated, restoring the file should be somewhat trivial if we find something missing at some point. Thanks

Infopro likes this.