Email location question

JayMBS

Nov 20, 2018
Rhode Island
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello folks.

Let me start by saying that I do understand where the cPanel email is located on the file structure. (/home/<user>/mail/<domain.tld>/)

We have a unique situation. We took over an account that had an email migration and we have the following two folders under /home/<user>/mail/

1) domain.tld
2) domain.tld.from.oldmail

The first is the actual domain. The second looks to be the folder that may have been used in the previous email migration.

My question is: Is it possible for cPanel to be pointing to *both* folders for email for the domain? - or can it ONLY be in the "domain.tld" folder?

I ask, because we'd like to remove any extraneous folders/files.

I thought about a script to try and find duplicates, however the folders are quite huge and the strain on traversing them might be too much.

For example here are the (outrageous) mailbox sizes:

1) domain.tld -> 30GB
2) domain.tld.from.oldmail -> 24GB

Is there some definitive way to be sure that the 2nd folder is _not_ "in play" for email so we may delete it? (we don't want to rip it out and find out 3 months down the road the client needs an old email that they cannot find anymore).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

JayMBS

Nov 20, 2018
Rhode Island
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
OK. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some setting I wasn't seeing that allowed distribution of email among multiple folders. As you indicated, restoring the file should be somewhat trivial if we find something missing at some point. Thanks

Reactions: Infopro