The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email (Mailman) problem really has me stumped

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wa4fat, Jun 23, 2005.

1. wa4fat

wa4fat Well-Known Member

Good morning

I have a weird email issue that is causing a client major headaches, and which I have been thus far unable to diagnose. I'm hoping someone may have seen this before and might be able to offer some suggestions -- thanks in advance!

Here's the deal:

ANY email sent (by anyone) to one particular email address on one of my servers generates a funky bounce message, although the email IS actually delivered to the recipient. Naturally this bounce causes consternation to the sender, who suspects his email wasn't delivered.

Here's the error/bounce message:

pipe to |/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post john.close_auditeconline.com
    generated by john.close@auditeconline.com
    local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/mail/mailman post john.close_auditeconline.com
    generated by john.close@auditeconline.com ------

post script, list not found: john.close_auditeconline.com

There are NO mailing lists on this account, NO email forwarders, NO autoresponders. Mail addressed to other addresses at this domain is delivered appropriately without this error message. Mail SENT from this particular address functions normally as well.

The error/bounce message seems to suggest that mailman is looking for a list named john.close_auditeconline.com ... if so, why and how can I eliminate this issue?

To see the error message being generated, you can send a test email to this address (JOHN.CLOSE@AUDITECONLINE.COM)

Again, thanks *very* much in advance for any suggestions!

-- Bill

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Check the domains /etc/valiases/domain.com file to make sure it hasn't got any dubious entries in it that could be causing the problem.

3. wa4fat

wa4fat Well-Known Member

Hello Jonathan

I owe you a BIG attaboy and sincere thanks for sleuthing this issue for me!

The /valiases record for this particular domain did indeed contain artifacts from old or aborted mailing lists, and that was causing the snafu. (It should have occurred to me to check there, but didn't ... too much on my plate, I suppose ;-) I had to re-populate this account recently after a hack attack prompted a complete OS reload, and probably caused the issue by restoring old data to this directory ... sigh.

Kindest regards from Alabama,

Bill