Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email migration to gmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by chiptape, Jul 19, 2017.

1. chiptape

chiptape Member

Hi.

I'm running out of disk space at my webhostingpad cpanel web host. They won't give me more space, because I am in violation of their TOS, because I'm using too much space for email.

There's about a dozen email accounts on a subdomain that I manage for a friend. I reconfigured one email account from IMAP to POP to save space, but I don't really like that, because now only his sent mail is kept on the server. So I'm looking for a different solution for another account that's taking up the most space.

I'm thinking of migrating to gmail or outlook.com and setting up a forwarder in cpanel.

I'm testing the gmail migration and have a couple problems:

1. My friend uses Outlook, so that's a headache. Maybe he could use outlook.com?

2. I'd like sent emails to appear as from xxxx@[my subdomain.com] instead of xxxx@gmail.com. I configured a reply to address, but can you configure a default "send from" address? The "from dropdown" in Outlook's "compose mail" isn't very convenient. You have to select your from address every time you compose an email.

3. I've been using a forwarder with my main domain, and it's not very reliable. Do I need to do something with MX records in addition to setting up the forwarder? Or did I mess it up when I deleted the email account after setting up the forwarder?

Can you suggest solutions to the above gmail issues, or can you suggest alternatives to gmail?

Thx

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you confirm if you'd like to have your email hosted by the cPanel server, but stored on Gmail? If so, the email accounts will still need to exist in cPanel so that SMTP authentication succeeds when sending emails through Gmail. Gmail documents how to configure the "Send Mail As" option at:

Use the ‘Treat as an alias’ setting to manage ‘Send mail as’ account behavior - G Suite Administrator Help

Also, since Gmail can download the messages via POP3, you wouldn't necessarily need to setup a forwarder.

Thank you.

3. chiptape

chiptape Member

Thanks, that all sounds very promising... I'll check it out.

I'm not sure where it should be hosted. I just need to free up space.

So would this work:

1. Move the existing mail to gmail (I've tested this)

2. Configure new mail to POP3 to gmail.

3. IMAP the gmail to Outlook?

thx

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that should work. However, I encourage you to set this up with a test email account first to make sure it works as expected before setting it up for the email account with actual email data.

Thank you.