heycarollan

Registered
Nov 14, 2019
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I migrated from an old shared host to a new one after a series of nightmare interactions with my host. I had several emails I was hosting as well.

One client with all the emails said they had all their emails saved as they were using an outside application so, when I transferred them ovr to the new host(which uses "hpanel" my hosts version of cpanel), so I didnt worry about it. I just gave them the new imap pop credentials and a link to their new webmail.

Well, now they need something from their old emails pre-migration. I have the full cpanel backup including the email folder but, I dont have them on a cpanel. I do have a cpanel server but I would like to do this without migrating and having to take their website down.

I have a spare domain for staging on a cpanel server that they are not on. Is there a way to use this or convert the pre-existing files I have?

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You could manually extract the backup, find the files and then move them over to the new server. It's a bit of a process but definitely doable.

The steps would be something like:

1. Send copy of the backup to your (or their server if they have the space) server - this can be done with FTP or SCP if they have shell access
  2. extract the backup - this doesn't even require a domain to be live or valid.
    • through the file manager you can just click extract
    • via ssh you can run something like the following:
      Code:
      tar xvzf file.tar.gz
  3. Identify what you want to move, mail related files are at /home/user/mail/
  4. download/FTP the files to the customer server or use something like rsync to do this
  5. ensure permissions/ownership is correct on the newly moved files.

Reactions: Aileen71

Aileen71

Registered
Dec 19, 2019
Philippines
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
You could manually extract the backup, find the files and then move them over to the new server. It's a bit of a process but definitely doable.

The steps would be something like:

1. Send copy of the backup to your (or their server if they have the space) server - this can be done with FTP or SCP if they have shell access
  2. extract the backup - this doesn't even require a domain to be live or valid.
    • through the file manager you can just click extract
    • via ssh you can run something like the following:
      Code:
      tar xvzf file.tar.gz
  3. Identify what you want to move, mail related files are at /home/user/mail/
  4. download/FTP the files to the customer server or use something like rsync to do this
  5. ensure permissions/ownership is correct on the newly moved files.
This is such a great help. Thanks.

SamuelM

Technical Analyst Team Lead
Nov 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello @Aileen71,

You are very welcome! I will go ahead and mark this thread as solved. Please feel free to reply if you have any additional questions.

Best regards

Reactions: cPanelLauren