The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Missing after cPanel Backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by phil michail, May 16, 2016.

1. phil michail

phil michail Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    however because im very new to the cpanel i'm not familiar with its functionality or how to use it correctly. i did a full backup via the cpanel. then shortly after i notice that my emails had disappeared from multiple accounts on imap.

am i able to retrieve them again??

2. ssfred

ssfred Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

The issue needs more information. Still I assume that you noticed mail missing after a taking a cPanel backup. cPanel backup generation won't create any such issues. Possibly you might have accidentally deleted the mails through your mail client. If the protocol being used is IMAP, the mails deleted through mail client will purge the mails from server as well. It can also happen if you have an infected machine used to access the mails.

If you don't have much data modifications after the backup, you may attempt an entire account restore from the backup and it will restore the mails. Else you can extract the backup file and move the contents present in the mail folder to the corresponding location of the existing account ie /home/user/mail/domain.com/user/

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Generating a backup should not remove any files from your email directories. Your access level suggests you do not have root access to the system. I recommend contacting your web hosting provider so they can take a closer look and determine what happened to the emails.

Thank you.