The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email / new user

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by punchcardRay, Jul 25, 2007.

1. punchcardRay

punchcardRay Registered

I am new to the cpanel, but not to web control panels. I am having trouble setting up a new email user, several attempts have all resulted in the mail being bounced back.
    I then set up another user, then using the squirrel webmail program i sent an email to myself successfully. Then i replied to the email from my regular account and the REPLY got bounced. Needless to say I dont think to much of this system so far.
    here is the the bounced notice:
    Reporting-MTA: dns;WEATHEREND.COM
    Received-From-MTA: dns;psmtp.com
    Arrival-Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:00:30 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;rayd@weatherend.com
    Action: failed
    so what should i do next, This shouldn't be that hard.
    punchcardRay

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So the domain you have on a cpanel server is weatherend.com ? If so, weatherend.com mail is piped through Postini for spam processing (obviously a decision made by weatherend.com at some point). And just because you add a new weatherend.com email address in the Cpanel interface doesn't mean you're ready to go. You now need to log into the Postini interface (if you are the one resopnsible for doing that in your company) and add the email address at Postini so that Postini knows to accept mail for that account, spam-process it, and forward it to your mail server.

If your domain is weatherend.com and you just moved this domain to a Cpanel server, you will also need to instruct Postini (or the postini reseller who sold you Postini service) and have them make sure they are forwarding the mail to your Cpanel server.

For weatherend.com, according to information I can easily dig up, the following holds true:

weatherend.com contracts with Postini either directly or through a Postini reseller to scrub weatherend.com mail for spam/viruses.
    - weatherend.com mail first goes to Postini (psmtp.com) mail servers
    - if the weatherend.com email address exists at Postini, Postini accepts it, filters it, sends it to your mail server
    - if the weatherend.com email address does not exist at Postini, Postini rejects it.

This would explain why you are able to log into squirrelmail and send yourself a message (because it is delivered locally to the mail system on the cpanel server and doesn't have to go to Postini for filtering and possible rejection first. When you send email to a weatherend.com account from a non-weatherend.com (or via a different mail server than mail.weatherend.com), then the mail first goes to Postini - and Postini must know that the email address is valid or it will reject it.

So assuming all of the above assumptions I've made are true, then you have added the email address to the local server but have not added it to the Postini system via their administrative interface.

Mike