The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email not being deleted from the server when checked.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jols, May 2, 2006.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

I have been receiving reports of email not being deleted when checked. Apparently it just continues to pile up on the server for certain domains/accounts.

I have looked at all the usual suspects, e.g. aging set (either in cpanel or within the user's email client), leave a copy set (within the user's email client), a forwarder set, the user rarely checking account, etc. etc. etc. and none of these situations apply.

Anything else we should look for here?

2. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Now, I hear back from this same customer (who had made the complaint) that he found out independently that this is a cPanel bug. Anyone know about this? Email piles up on the server in spite of being checked? Anyone?

3. mumser101

mumser101 Registered

Aging does not work and hasn't worked for years. You'd think they would fix it by now or else remove it as an option.

#3 mumser101, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you're looking for any specific suggestions, you'd probably need to be a bit more specific in your description of the problem.

You mention that mail is not 'deleted when checked'? In this context, what is being checked? What is the user using (an standard email client, a webmail app)? In what way are you expecting something being checked to delete mail?

5. jols

jols Well-Known Member

In the standard, normal way.

Client checks email using an email client such as Outlook or Eudora. No Leave Mail optioin is selected in their client settings. Aging is not selected in their cPanel. Yet, the email is not removed from the server when checked. It's a simple as that.

This issue only seems to be occurring within one hosted account on the server. I've already run the fix permissions routine via WHM, and was just basically wondering if there are other fix-it scripts I could run, or other things I could manually adjust to avoid this issue.

6. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the mailbox receiving new mail? Is the POP3 transaction completing? POP3 and POP3 clients work by issuing a DELE command after retrieving a message. This DELE command just marks that specific message for deletion, the actual deleting of the message does not occur until the QUIT command is issued at the end of the POP3 session.

7. webignition

Furthermore, are affected clients using IMAP and could it be as simple as them not fully understanding how IMAP works?

8. webignition

Thinking about it further, I imagine the affected clients must be using IMAP. POP interfaces offer no option of checking messages to delete them from the server as by the time a message reaches the user it is fair to say that the message has been deleted from the server.

The deletion of IMAP messages commonly goes against user expectations, which can sometimes cause confusion. Some IMAP interfaces handle this quite well and others do not.

When a message is deleted through IMAP, it is generally not actually deleted from the server and may be either marked as deleted or moved to a different folder.

I've noticed that Outlook Express chooses to mark messages as deleted. They will then be actually deleted when the user chooses to purge deleted messages. Similar behaviours can be observed through Horde. One can assume that whatever is the case for Outlook Express is the case for Outlook Proper.

Thunderbird, on the other hand, moves deleted messages to a special folder, equivalent to the Windows 'Recycle Bin'. The user can then choose to empty this special folder when needed.

Therefore in most IMAP interfaces, if not all, deletion is not immediate. A message will be either marked as deleted or moved elsewhere and the user will then have to take some secondary action to fully delete the message.

You should really check that the user understands how to use IMAP correctly as the most likely issue is that the user doesn't understand how to use IMAP or, more specifically, does not understand how to use a specific IMAP interface.

9. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did anyone mention to try /scripts/mailperm... Just incase? :x

10. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring this old thread up again but I have the same problem with different accounts on different servers. Did someone find a solution yet?

When the mail is checked and downloaded via Outlook (POP3) the mails remain in the inbox on the server. This results in the account reaching its quota after some days because emails don't get deleted.

I already tried /scripts/fixmailperm but no luck.