The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email not being delivered after update to 8.4.0 stable

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by DrChaos, Oct 1, 2003.

1. DrChaos

DrChaos Active Member

On all servers updated to 8.4.0 Stable today, no email is being delivered to users. We have reinstalled Exim on one box, ran /scripts/sysup, updatenow, restarted exim and mailscanner. I have sent several emails as tests both on and offsite, and receive neither the mail or a bounce message. What is happening here? Anyone else having problems?

Update: This is from the paniclog:

2003-10-01 09:46:09 non-existent configuration file(s): /etc/exim.conf
    2003-10-01 09:46:09 non-existent configuration file(s): /etc/exim.conf
    2003-10-01 10:44:46 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for lookuphost router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

2003-10-01 10:44:46 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for literal router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

2003-10-01 12:56:47 failed to open /etc/localdomains for linear search: No such file or directory

t

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 DrChaos, Oct 1, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  2. trukfixer

trukfixer Active Member

the keyword is "perl" seems we have had several CGI scripts fail right after the latest cpanel upgrade, which breaks perl scripts by the dozens.. it may be fixed (I think- testing at the moment) with an upgrade to "edge" release.

3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

It also says that "/etc/exim.conf does not exist". Have you checked that it indeed exists?

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Looks like a few exim files are missing

/scripts/exim4 will reinstall exim

5. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

why the old scripts are still kept in server ?

/scripts/reseteximtodefaults now removes exim ! :-(

Nick, please remove unused/old scripts from there.

6. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Member

Same problem here on the October 3rd Stable 8.4.0-STABLE_92 -- I haven't tried reinstalling Exim4. It looks like, to me, it's picking up everything as Unroutable in Exim_mainlog.

5 Days since this message was posted -- Figured a fix would be here by now, since email is -pretty- important...

7. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Member

My exim_rejectlog shows "host lookup did not complete" and/or "sender verify fail"

exim_mainlog shows "unrouteable address"

Tried the following to fix the problem:

Reboot system - no help.

Turned off the "Verify the existance of email senders" in Exim Configuration editor. No help. After this, there appears to be a second "inbox" in ~/mail/domainuser/ which looks to contain the test emails I sent from my AOL account, and all of the test emails which I am looking for.

Updated to Edge 97 - no help.

This account was copied from an Ensim box about 2 months ago. Something with CPanel 8 porked it because I haven't received email on this account since my Sep 30 update to the Stable CPanel 8.

I am able to receive mails from my AOL account to accounts which were NOT copied, but simply added to CPanel via WHM.

Should I try deleting the site/account and re-enter from WHM??

8. ekws

ekws Member

Had this same problem. I looked at my test account and noticed that the defualt email address was showing as 'username@mydomain.com' instead of just 'username'.

I changed it back to just 'username' and email is working again.

My question is why did the upgrade change that? And how can I fix it on a mass scale...what file is this written to?

9. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Member

In pursuit of your theory, I changed my default email from user@domain.com to just user - no help.

Looked at the rest of the sites on my box which don't have a default email address, and changed the default email address to blank/none like the rest of the sites - no help.

I swear I think it has to do with the directory structure of the accounts I copied from Ensim. Because this troubled account has ~/mail/username and ~/mail/username.com whereas all of the other sites on my system only contain email in ~/mail and no further directories or strange files... (Actually, only this account so far - the other accounts I copied from Ensim seem fine.)

10. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Member

I think these directories were created by /scripts/fixpop, and it created an account domain@domain.com which relates to the directories I am seeing. So, I'm going to delete that account created by fixpop, and see if that "fixes" it...???

Bingo! That solved the problem. (Obviously fixpop didn't!?!) Although I still have the directory in my mail directory (~/mail/domain.com/domainuser) which I think I'm going to delete because the "inbox" file in that directory wasn't updated with my test message. From looking at other sites, it appears to be created only when you create additional users on the domain.

My other question is that with having this additional "user" created by the fixpop script, I wonder what I did to actually fix the problem??? It seems I've been chasing my tail since I ran fixpop. Anyone??

I turned the "Verify Senders Email..." in WHM/Exim Config Editor, and am now receiving mail from my AOL account.

Did upgrading from the Stable to the latest Edge version fix my problem, or something else? Because I haven't gotten email on this account since I updated to 8.4 Stable from Stable 7.x.

#10 Nodnarb, Oct 7, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  11. Przemek

Przemek Active Member

I had the same problem but running "/scripts/exim4" and reinstalling Exim fixed the problem.

12. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Member

I actually put in a trouble ticket on this, and the Cpanel tech also ran /scripts/updateuserdomains2 to update the Userdomains file, after running the exim4 script.

Looks like it's working now! And, even though my box is running 8.4.0 Edge 97, my box is in full production mode. My domains are moved, and I'm releasing my old server box tomorrow. Hopefully, this was the only bump in my road because I need to be running the sites, not chasing glitches in the control panel software.

But, CPanel tech support was excellent, prompt, and very comprehensive in answering my questions and solving my problem! (Kudos to my middle-namesake, Kyle!)

13. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If you dont want to be chasing glitches on a production server, then you might not want to be on Edge.

Anywho, I havent ran any fixes yet, I am waiting for either another post from bdraco or others to see what the deal is.

I am getting "Delay reason: host lookup did not complete" errors or in some cases, no bounce at all, between my support address and several other cPanel servers.

14. porcupine

porcupine Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm seeing a lot of:

2004-02-23 16:23:20 H=(hostname) [ip_address] F=<email@address.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <email@address.com>: Could not complete sender verify

Way to go "stable". How did this manage to seep into the stable release, unless of course it wasn't tested? Please, someone feel free to explain this, because I'm at a loss.

15. VH-Bart

VH-Bart Member

Yup, getting that same thing here. No email gets delivered.

16. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ok well this is getting absurd. I've tried the suggested fixes (further up, reinstalling exim, etc.), Filed a CPanel support request/bug report, provided my root login details over 16 hours ago (upon DarkORB's request) and still nobody has logged into our server even!

Has anyone found a resolve for this (aside from the guys who supposedly reinstalled exim and that repaired it)?

17. VH-Bart

VH-Bart Member

I fixed my issue by reinstalling mailscanner from layer1.cpane.net

I reinstalled it and everything works fine again.

18. rickyliu

rickyliu Member

How to reinstall mailscanner ?

I have the same problem.... :(

19. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Looks like "/scripts/fixmailperm" did it for our servers. After reading some *more* threads on the issue, and trying dozens of potential fixes, that one appears to have come through for us.

20. big

big Well-Known Member

if /etc/exim.pl doesn't exists then do the following

cp /usr/local/cpanel/bsdconf/exim/exim.pl /etc/exim.pl

fixed the problem with me (searched the forums)

:D