The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email not delivered problems, and feature enhancement solution

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by halie, Jun 12, 2009.

1. halie

halie Active Member

I experienced a problem yesterday, where email suddenly stopped being delivered to the mailboxes of my main accounts.

I am certain that WHM or cPanel could be improved, to prevent the same happening to others, and have suggested some solutions at the end of this post.

I have two packages that I have configured in my WHM, which are used as the basis of all newly created accounts, containing some basic default settings, including account disk quota.

Yesterday, I made a minor amendment to them (not related to disk quota).
    In doing so, the account quota for each account was automatically reset to the default for all accounts that were originally based on those packages.

As I had a couple of exception accounts to which I had manually applied larger quotas since they were created, and that these accounts had a greater disk usage, they immediately went over-quota.

From then on, I did not receive any email, although I did not notice the issue until some hours later.

I now know that "over quota" warning emails were generated and sent by the system to the main email addresses of the accounts concerned, but I could not access them as the system had stopped allowing emails to be delivered to the respective mailboxes.

Since I have realised what had happened, I have increased the quotas and deleted some files in each of the accounts, and all the missing mail is now arriving in my mailboxes, although it is taking some time to catch up.

The confusion, as I see it, was created by the following issues:

1) The "over quota" warning emails were never delivered, once the account was over-quota. It would make sense to ensure that these emails are delivered regardless of whether the account is over quota, by always permitting email generated by the localhost.

2) After amending some properties of a package, all the accounts based on that package were reset (including their quotas). It would then be good if a summary of any accounts over quota could be shown on the confirmation page, with a warning stating that emails will no longer be delivered to these accounts.

I hope you can put this to good use.

Regards
    Halie