The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email notification that exim failed after configuration change to stop ratware

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mkecrash, Jan 28, 2015.

1. mkecrash

mkecrash Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am methodically making changes to my exim configuration to fight spam. I have had a dramatic increase last year and I can find no simple solution to control it.

I am following the excellent tips from Building a Poor Man’s Barracuda – cPanel edition.

One suggestion is to turn on smtp_enforce_sync and stop spammers from using smtp pipelining. This sounds appealing because ratware ignores protocol rules.

In conjunction with this syncing I use a banner delay by adding accept delay = 15s to custom_begin_connect. Apparently, a good ham sender will follow proper protocol rules and wait.

This seems to work. I can find numerous sync error notifications in the exim fail log.

The problem is that for every sync error there seems to be a matching email message sent from chkservd notifying me that exim has failed because the a response of 220 was not returned from a status check.

The email reason is: Service check failed to completeexim-26: [554 != 220]

I have rolled back my changes because the repeated attempts to restart exim appear unnecessary. And instead of receiving spam messages I get these error messages filling up my inbox.

Does smtp_enforce_sync with banner delay work in cpanel?

Can I control chkservd to properly check on exim? I bet that it is not waiting long enough for a good response.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will likely need to disable monitoring for Exim via "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager" and use a third-party monitoring service if Chkservd is not compatible with your custom changes. It's not possible to increase the response time that Chkservd waits before determining if a service is down.

Thank you.