The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Notifications to Owner as Well as User

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aarondwyer, Mar 6, 2006.

1. aarondwyer

aarondwyer Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all

Like in this thread from 2003, I'm wondering if there is a way to get disk usage and bandwidth warnings sent to the server owner as well as the user email that was defined for the cpanel account.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=1121

I've tried setting my email in the WHM 'change system mail preferences' and every time I enter in my emails for nobody's mail or cpanel's mail it doesn't actually set the address and just says 'currently not being forwarded'

I'm assuming that if I was to set cpanel's mail then I would get a copy of the warning emails.

I hate having a customer come to me and say I've run out disk space, I'd like to know before hand and I'd head it off before it becomes an issue without having to manually monitor it.

Any ideas for me to try?

Thanks
    Aaron

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you do not have ROOT access with your WHM account. Your ROOT host will set this up for you. By default, warings are sent at 80 percent usage to all account holders. So whatever their contact email address is in their cpanel, that will be used to get the warnings.

3. aarondwyer

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes that is correct, my clients get their warning emails.

But I (as root user) want to also get those same emails.

Is that even possible with cPanel? If so then has anyone else got it setup like that.

It just seems so redimentary a feature that it must be an option that I've missed.

Thanks

Regards
    Aaron

4. aarondwyer

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've found this thread.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showpost.php?p=137622&postcount=4

So is that the only way to get the notification emails that the users get.??

That is so ridiculous. The user will see that email in their cPanel, plus some of them will change it and even remove it and require me to constantly update it.

There has to be a better way of the server owner getting the emails that the users get.

Thanks
    Aaron

5. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do something about it

This issue has been discussed numerous times here on the forums. The bandwidth and disk space notification system is horrendous, in my opinion. Where do we start?

• The limit (% of disk space or bandwidth used) before the e-mails go out is non-configurable.
    • The number of times per day the messages go out is non-configurable.
    • The actual text of the message is non-configurable.
    • The option to allow the system administrator and/or reseller to be CC'd or BCC'd on any of the messages has not been implemented (as a small web hosting provider, I damn well want to know when cPanel is e-mailing my customers, and I want to know what it is telling them).
    • The bandwidth notices always say 80%, even if the user is up to 85%, 90% or more. So, they give the customer a false sense that they are well within their limits, when they are not.

Please, do us all a favor and submit a FEATURE REQUEST to get this "feature enhancement" implemented. If nobody is asking for it, cPanel will spend their time elsewhere.

Feature enhancement requests are done via the cPanel Bugzilla system. Here is my bugzilla for all of these feature enhancements:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1319

I think it would be helpful if others left additional comments on this ticket, versus opening up separate tickets (I think that is how it works). And please use one of your 5 "Bugzilla" votes to VOTE for this fix.

- Scott

#5 sneader, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006