MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I saw that some servers have enabled other port for email in: WHM -> Service Manager -> Exim Mail Server (on another port)

-What is the benefit of allowing another port?.
-Your recommend me disable ports 25, 587 and 465 in CSF?.

I have server with 200-250 cPanel accounts.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

Michael Svendsen

Dec 19, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In my opinion, only needed if you have certain requirements... firewall, network/NAT, etc. Else I'd keep the defaults.
Regarding blocking mail ports in CSF, if you do not serve mail accounts you could disable them.

Reactions: MindServer

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
-What is the benefit of allowing another port?.
This is typically for outbound SMTP in the instances where the provider blocks connections over port 25. This allows exim to listen on an alternate port.
-Your recommend me disable ports 25, 587 and 465 in CSF?.
I would not recommend doing this for any of the listed ports, especially 25 since it has to remain open for inbound SMTP.

I also would not recommend doing this for 587 or 465 since 587 is used for STARTTLS and 465 for SSL/TLS

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is typically for outbound SMTP in the instances where the provider blocks connections over port 25. This allows exim to listen on an alternate port.

I would not recommend doing this for any of the listed ports, especially 25 since it has to remain open for inbound SMTP.

I also would not recommend doing this for 587 or 465 since 587 is used for STARTTLS and 465 for SSL/TLS
Thank you very much!. I will do this.

Last thing please: If I connect to cPanel email account since thunderbird/outlook, which is the most secure IMAP port?: 993 (encrypted IMAP connection), 587+STARTTLS or 143+STARTTLS?.

I see that some hosting providers are using port 143, this is safe?.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
They're all equally secure when they are encrypted. The most common way to set up the client is incoming port 993 and outgoing port 587 w/STARTTLS