Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email Password length and Unicode

Discussion in 'Security' started by JAB Creations, Jun 19, 2018.

1. JAB Creations

JAB Creations Member

Unfortunately I have little time to spare and while I am using cPanel I'm not certain I can go through the service ticket bit so I'm posting this here.

I am currently working on a project to formalize how email notifications are sent. Since no human should have access to these email accounts I wanted to complicate the passwords dramatically. There are two explicit things I did and I'm not sure which or if both of these issues destroyed the account and resulted in the error or not.

1. A very long password, 41 characters.
    2. High level UTF-8 characters were used.
    I'm not sure if the relevant file(s) are properly encoded as UTF-8 or not, that would be my first guess. In fact Notepad++ has a nasty bug were many files are opened as ANSI and I have to make an explicit warning at the top for such files when I edit them to ensure that Notepad++ is using the proper encoding.

The way I determined this was the problem was from this file:

/var/log/exim_mainlog

I saw the following error:

Resetting the password numerous times did not work. The only way I was able to resolve this issue was to outright delete the email account and manually recreate it.

Additionally browsers have begun replacing many characters with custom emojis. I generally try to prevent this with the Variation Selector-15 character. Keep in mind that some browsers improperly display the emjies even with the variation selector 15 character:

Code:
    😏
    😏︎
    😏︎
    I am sure this adds undesirable complexity to the problem. At the end of the day I'd prefer to be able to have long and very complex password especially with society dealing with quantum processing passwords at some in the relatively near future if someone is not quietly already doing so.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @JAB Creations,

Can you let us know the full steps you took to change the passwords?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...