The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email piping bouncing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by RWH Tech, Oct 4, 2015.

1. RWH Tech

RWH Tech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is an account migrated from a shared setup to a VPS. I've tried various things, including allowing full shell, changing php path to /usr/local/bin, double-checked file, directory permissions (755) and ownership (user:user).
    I've edited /etc/exim.conf as suggested in another thread and sent HUP to the service, but still get the same thing.
    This is for WMCS, and is described here: http://docs.whmcs.com/Email_Piping#Cron_Piping_Method

Looking for some advice, after much googling.

WHM 11.52.0.9, CentOS 7.1 x64, suphp, suEXEC on. ruid2 off.

Bounce:
    pipe to |/usr/bin/php -q /home/user/public_html/crons/pipe.php
    generated by address@example.com
    local delivery failed

and the following fail message from exim:

Full shell:
    Child process of virtual_address_pipe transport returned 255 (could mean shell command ended by signal 127 (Unknown signal 127)) from command: /usr/bin/php

Using a jailed shell/disabled shell:
    Child process of jailed_virtual_address_pipe transport returned 255 (could mean shell command ended by signal 127 (Unknown signal 127)) from command: /usr/local/cpanel/bin/jailexec

#1 RWH Tech, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  2. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its usually:

/usr/local/bin/php

/usr//bin/php is cgi-fcgi

If you are running suphp you shouldn't need to set the permissions up other than 644, possibly 755, however, this is what I would do. Disable shell access for now.

Extract a fresh pipe.php from the whmcs.zip. Leave the file AS IS.
    Go into cPanel, make sure you are using theme x3, go into your email forwarders, and add a new forward pipe to this script, it can be a forward from any address, doesn't matter, once you click add, cPanel should ask you if it wants you to allow cPanel to make the proper permissions and add the correct hash to the script, click YES.

Once that is done, try testing your mail pipe again.

3. RWH Tech

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've never had Cpanel ask about hash or permissions, and it didn't do it this time, either. If I upload the file via FTP with no modifications, then set up the forwarder to /home/user/public_html/crons/pipe.php, with or without the preceding /usr/local/bin/php -e (pipe auto-added by x3) I get a bounce with
    Could not exec '/home/user/public_html/crons/pipe.php' and the "transport returned 1" message in exim.

If I change the perms to 755, I get the "local delivery failed" message, with exim signal 127, so it executes, but fails.

I'm wondering if it's a bug, but I don't have enough experience with WHM/PHP to ascertain that. I know that Easyapache 4 failed on me, and I had to revert to Easyapache 3. I also can't, for the life of me, get Magento to run with ruid2, which may be a separate issue, or maybe not.

If I didn't have live sites on this VPS, I'd take a hammer to it and re-configure it from scratch...

4. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yeah I am not to sure, its one of those things you have to play around with to be able to really troubleshoot. Do you have a managed VPS, your host should be able to assist.

- Removed -

#4 Jcats, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  5. RWH Tech

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's an unmanaged VPS, so I'm on my own on this one. I'm going to use POP to pull the mail, then will spend some more time on it later, since I've a few other issues to deal with.
    Appreciate the redacted offer, but this isn't important enough to eat up someone else's time on actual troubleshooting.

6. RWH Tech

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here's the clencher. I was troubleshooting an "access denied" SQL error and came across info to set /tmp to 1777, so I did and that fixed the forwarding issue.
    I will never know how /tmp permissions got changed from default.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator