The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Piping Problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doni49, Mar 16, 2007.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to set up piping email to a PHP script. When I went to bed last night, it was working FINE. Tonight, when I send myself a test message, I get mail delivery bounce back messages. The following is at the bottom of the error message (right before it shows the message and headers that it was trying to process).

I was getting the same message last night, but I kept trying different things and eventually the errors stopped. Once it started working, I copied the script files to a safe location. When I saw that the error was back again, I copied the files from the safe location back to the server again. The error won't go away. Regardless of the bounce message, the script DOES process.

I've made sure the script and the folder it's in has permissions set to 755.

I've also noticed that if I send a message from an address that's not in my domain, the bounce message does NOT seem to be sent. I sent several from my work address and several from a free webmail account that I have.

This is making me coo-koo!:confused:

2. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

UPDATE: This has gotten even STRANGER!

Before going to bed last night, I continued to try and figure this out. I kept trying different things and sending test messages. I got this bounce back message NO MATTER WHAT I DID.

This morning, I sent another test message before I changed ANYTHING. I did NOT receive a bounce back.

What would cause it to go from NOT working to working without my making changes?

3. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. The bounce back DID come in this AM.

I just didn't see it.

4. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you upgrade Zend?

5. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

No I didn't.

1) I'm a shared hosting user.

2) Why would trying to run a php script (of ANY type--piped or otherwise) tell me that error message?

I'm still TOTALLY befuddled why it was working with NO ERROR MESSAGES when I went to bed Thursday night but when I got home Friday night, the error messages hd returned.

6. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

Another update

After my last reply, I sent my host a link to this thread.

I just received an email telling me that it's been updated & asking to try again. I'll do that as soon as I get home.

7. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

Well I got home and tested it. The zend optimizer error is gone. But I'm still getting bounce backs. :confused:

When I go to a shell and type which php, it tells me /usr/local/bin/php. I've tried putting that full path in the pipe call and in the shebang line both. I've tried /usr/bin/php as well (this folder also has a php file).

This is what gets bounced back.
    The message DOES get process correctly--but these bounce backs get thrown. And they still SEEM to only get thrown if the sender is one of my own domains. PUZZLING!

8. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Seems to be fixed.

Still no clue why it was throwing bounce backs.

But since my host fixed the zend issue, I decided to start over and went back to the basics and little by little added everything that I need my script to do.

It's now doing everything without throwing bounce backs. I just hope it stays that way (remember that when I went to bed on Thursday night, it was working too).