The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email piping?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mamady, Dec 3, 2002.

1. mamady

mamady Member

is it possible to setup email piping on an account? The account is on a shared server, and im not looking to change the MX records and use another mail server.

Is there anyway to setup the email on the account to go through a CGI script?
    Any instructions or web links that have tutorials/information on this topic would be helpful.

2. mamady

mamady Member

nope, no instructions with the script; as far as i know its a custom script made by one of my clients.

i was told it was not possible to do this on an account on a shared server, which is why im asking.

3. Noldar

Noldar Well-Known Member

You should be able to edit the file /etc/valiases/youdomain.com and add something like this:

email@yourdomain.com: |/usr/bin/perl /path_to_script/script.cgi

That's assuming it's a perl script.

Richard

4. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

Go into your control panel, and go into the mail management section. Setup a forwarder. for the address field put in the address you want to forward mail from. and for the forward to field enter | /path/to/the/script.pl

then click add forward.

5. Sketch

Sketch Active Member

Assuming I send this to a PHP script instead, what do I need to do to verify that the contents of the email are being passed to the script. As it is now, when I run the PHP script, I assume I'd see the contents of the mail in the file, but this is not the case.

Tips?

Aaron

6. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

all the pipe does is pass the emails source to the script. What the script does with it after that is another story.

7. Sketch

Sketch Active Member

[quote:9ab1d9dc0f][i:9ab1d9dc0f]Originally posted by shaun[/i:9ab1d9dc0f]

all the pipe does is pass the emails source to the script. What the script does with it after that is another story.
    [/quote:9ab1d9dc0f]I'm aware of that. That's why I asked what I need to do to verify the contents of the email made it to the script. You know if I pass a variable via POST to a page, all I have to do to verify the variable got there is:

echo $_POST['var'];

So....what do I need to do to verify that the script &has& the email because as of now I have no clue if the piping is working.

Thanks.
    Aaron

8. AceWeb

AceWeb Well-Known Member

[quote:16a406c3fc][i:16a406c3fc]Originally posted by shaun[/i:16a406c3fc]

Go into your control panel, and go into the mail management section. Setup a forwarder. for the address field put in the address you want to forward mail from. and for the forward to field enter | /path/to/the/script.pl

then click add forward.

[/quote:16a406c3fc]

Really?

I tried it before and it never works via cpanel. I always had to edit the file manually.