The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email pop password problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by johan d, Apr 7, 2011.

1. johan d

johan d Member

Hello,

I have the following problem.

I created 4 email aliasses in Cpanel a year ago.

Joe@acme.com
    Bart@acme.com
    sales@acme.com
    accounts@acme.com

Everything was working properly. In the Outlook express accounts I used the “main” username and password. To retrieve the mail.

Yesterday someone was fired, so I had to change the passwords on the email accounts. I did that in cpanel “email - add/remove alliasses”

When hitting send/receive on an outlook client the password was asked, but it popped up again and again and again. I was sure it was the correct password.

After severeal attempt my account was blocked due to “brutal force attempt”

What did I do wrong?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Change the email password(s) in Outlook as well. ;)

3. johan d

johan d Member

Where do i do that?
    If outlook asks me for a pasword when hitting send/receive, that's where the pasword is saved, no?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    These instructions for setting up an account in Outlook Express should be useful:
    How to Set Up Outlook Express

Instead of setting one up though, you'll be editing. ;)

5. johan d

johan d Member

it's not the first time i set up an email account in outlook, so i know this. The problem is that it just don"'t work anymore after chnging the passwords in cpanel. Although, thanks for you reply

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I apologize for giving you Info you already have. When you change the email password on the server, you must also change the password on the mail client, in this case OE. Not from that popup though, you edit the email account in the email client.

If you have done this, and that popup comes up, cancel it. OE should give you some sort of error message. What does that message say?

7. johan d

johan d Member

my apologize too...

the error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'joe@acme.com', Server: 'mail.acme.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    While there could be other reasons (port being blocked by ISP, etc) for this, I'm leaning toward the password itself. You might try changing it again on both the server and client, for troubleshooting puposes.

But, re-reading this thread, did you get back into the server or are you still blocked by cPhulk?

9. johan d

johan d Member

It's solved.

How the problem began: I changed all the passwords in cpanel for all (5) email accounts. From that moment of, outlook did try on 5 computers simultaniously to connect to the pop server. After multiple attempt, the global ip adress was blocked from the server (so also from cpanel)

i guess that was the problem, because after 24 hours the block was relieved, and all worked again, with the new paswords.

10. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for sharing the issue and solution. Since there were 5 computers and some likely had the wrong password momentarily trying to connect due to the password change, it makes sense that your machine would end up blocking the IP temporarily. Was the block by cPHulk Brute Force Protection or by LFD (via CSF)?

Please note you can whitelist your local machine(s) IP(s) to prevent them from being blocked going forward in both products (WHM > cPHulk Brute Force Protection > Trusted IPs and WHM > Plugins > ConfigServer Security & Firewall). Alternatively, you could disable either cPHulk or CSF temporarily during a future password change until you are able to get all machines changed for the new password.