The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email pop3 login quirky?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by erinspice, Jul 23, 2007.

1. erinspice

erinspice Well-Known Member

I have some clients telling me that they have to enter their password into their mail client several times a day. I've double checked settings with them and they all have it set to save passwords, but it seems that cppop is denying their first authentication request, forcing the mail client to prompt for a password again, then it's accepting the second auth request. Any ideas?

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Can you grep the logs and see whats going on for the ones that complain. Its possible that you might be logging an specific error but of course it comes back to the client as a generic password failure.

I recall after updating via upcp a couple months ago customers were getting similiar problems but the logs showed the exact error and we restarted cppop and cleared out something (cant remember) and it was fixed.

Try to get the names of the people who are seeing this and the rough times it happens and eyeball the logs. Could be file locking issues or something to do with timing. Sometimes the user will not tell you that they wait a while then hit "send/receive" again and that can cause weird password fail issues on a slow server.