The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email problem due to domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by twiki, Apr 27, 2009.

1. twiki

twiki Registered

I have a domain registered with 1 company, and this used to host my website and my emails etc. (eg abc.com and twiki@abc.com)

I've since moved the website to a new host - and the original company have just pointed my A record to the new IP. Easy.

However, the old company still host my emails, and I want that to continue.

Trouble is, the new website has an enquiry form on it, and I'd like it to send emails to me if any one uses it. (to twiki@abc.com)

Now twiki@abc.com existis on company 1's server. But when the new host sends via it's internal email server, it thinks that twiki@abc.com should exist on it's server and as such says "no user found".

Is there anyway to get round this? If I add twiki@abc.com to the cPanel hosting, then I'll have that mail hosted a 2 places - and I want to keep mailing done via the original company.

So far, I've had to set up a gmail account which then auto-forwards the mail back to me - which sucks as a solution!

So - anyway to disable cPanel web server from checking to see if the account exists or not and getting it to just send out regardless?

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes there are 2 files key to this - they are only for email.

/etc/localdomains
    /etc/remotedomains

By default all domains are in localdomains, which means if you send an email on the server it stays on the server.

Remove the domain from localdomains, add it to remote domains, and now when you send email on the new server it will know to send it elsewhere.

3. twiki

twiki Registered

Cheers - I don't seem to have access to these files - I'm on a shared hosted server - but I will pass that onto the relevant people. Seems like that's exactly what the problem is!