The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Problems after transfer

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Vincyweb, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Vincyweb

Vincyweb Member

Hi Just got a server setup lastnight and I transfer one domain from my old server to this new vps with WHM. Once the transfer was completed, I checked the email accounts with horde and notice that all emails have disappear except for the new ones. I verified that trasnfer was successful and it was 100% completed without errors. I was using the same version of CPANEL on the other server. Have you seen this before.

Thanks!

2. Priyanka

Priyanka Registered

Email accounts gone after transfer!!

Hello,
    Even I am facing the same problem:( !! All the email accounts are gone after transfer of the account from old server to new server!None of them can be seen in the cpanel >> mails
    section,although all the email accounts exist on the new server.What to do so that the email accounts can be seen in the cpanel >> mails section !! :confused:
    Can anybody suggest something to this problem??Will I have to retransfer the whole account again or just the mails can be transferred to the new server??

3. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

I have the same question. All the accounts were created on the new server...but the actual mail in them was not. So, I have a bunch of mail for people sitting on the old server, which we can get to via the old IP address/webmail.

What is the (best) method for moving mail to the new server/account?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The most likely reason for that is if the old server was running mbox format and the new one is running maildir. To rectify it, try running the conversion utility:

/scripts/confvert2maildir

Which should have an option to convert existing mailbox data to the maildir format.

5. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

Chirpy, what is the easiest way to tell what format the server is using for mail?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you get any maildir_format hits with the following then you're using maildir:

grep maildir /etc/exim.conf

7. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

Well I think I found my issue then (one of them at least). The OLD server is using maildir (I got four hits) and the new server is using mbox. I guess I"ll need to figure out how to update the new server to maildir format?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

9. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

OK, thanks for your help. I'm on a managed VPS server and just put in a support ticket to have that upgrade taken care of for me - looks like other people at that VPS provider have asked for the same thing in the past as well.

Thanks for your answers and links to those other threads.