The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Problems and Quirks

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Richard C, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Richard C

Richard C Registered

The CPanel mail system operates slightly different than one might expect. The characteristics dont seem to be just related to neomail and since we have found solutions (or better said learned how to use it) thought it might help some other poor soul.

1. Forwarding: Thou shall not forward to an email address within your same site id. To forward you must send it outside of your site address or IP. If you do so the email will not erase and will accumulate even though it is forwarded.

2. Overload of the page. When the site has passed its capacity the system doesnt explain why the email fails but it gives some strange error messages including that the access code or password is incorrect.

3. To flush an overloaded email address one must find the two files for the account. One is located within the other under a folder simply called mail. Each account has two copies of its data and so if you eliminate a 20 meg overload you will still have the 20 meg overload unless you eliminate both files.

4. Erasing an account and hours later reinstalling it doesnt work to eliminate unwanted mail. We have tried up to 2 days and the mail came back. Erase the files and recreate them.
    If you accidentally mess the mail account up then erase it and reinstall it all files will be intact just the system files will be recreated.

5. The default mail account cannot be deactivated.

6. Setting the number of messages to be displayed higher than 30 can cause problems in yahoo and hotmail if your using webmail to read. Especially if you have a large number if files such as over 100. The system takes so long to create the name list that yahoo and hotmail time out.

7. If you open a message in webmail better forward it to another address or to the same if you plan to download it to your system later. Reviewing mail via webmail while on the road I found that all those which I had opened either were erased or stuck and did not download when I accessed via outlook at home.

8. The spam filter leaves a lot to be desired and is best deactivated. It usually calls my friend's mail spam and lets the real spam through.

Thats all for now folks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear Richard C,

Your post was really helpful.Thanks for the information.

Regards,