The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email problems - please help

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by inov, Dec 29, 2003.

1. inov

inov Member

Hi there

Just got a new Cpanel server and had started to move some accounts over. Just noticed that on the new server it is asking for the name plus the domain name for emails in outlooks "username" field. For example:

john@somedomain.com

on the old server would be:

username "john"

on the new server it will only work with "john@somedomain.com"

Any ideas why this might be and is there a way to change it to how the old server worked otherwise it's going to take me a long long time to transfer all my domains and get my clients up and running again

Thanks

Ade

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Welcome to the World of Cpanel. ;)

Due to the way it handles virtual eMail address, you have to go with the way Cpanel works. I dont' see how this has anything to do with transferring accounts though? Only applies to indivdual computers and people logging in for their eMail.

3. inov

inov Member

Hi and thanks for the posting. The problem is that my old server was a Cpanel one too :) So, I did a Cpanel->Cpanel move of my domains and it was after this that I noticed the difference in the way the two machines handled email. Do you think there could be some setting somewhere (on my new machine) that I need to change to get this to work the way my old one did?

Thanks

Ade

4. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't know off-hand. Cpanel says you need the domain name added to the login so that's the way I (and my Clients to my knowledge) have always done it.

Are you using the same Cpanel version on both Servers?

5. inov

inov Member

yeah, same version - that's what I found so weird. So, if the default is that way, then I'm just going to have to ask my clients to migrate to that format - urghh. Not so bad with one user and one Outlook, but some of them are going to have fun with their Exchange servers!

6. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The default account should not require the domain name added, only virtual eMail accounts.

While we're at though, let me ask if you (or your Clients) use the catch-all or turn it off and setup specific addresses. I do believe it makes a difference as to which way is used.

7. inov

inov Member

This was true of all accounts on the server, so if I had 10 accounts under domain.com then all of these would just have to use the username (infact some still do as they are on original server

I generally point the catch-all to one of my domains, and I can't think of an instance that it was turned off. Got the same settings on the new server though.

Seems to me that I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one. I had hoped that the default was NOT to add the domain, but it seems like it is

Thanks for all the help

Ade