The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mikelc, Sep 6, 2004.

1. mikelc

mikelc Member

I have some hosting which was given to me by a friend and it uses cpanel. Everything seems to work fine exept for my emails. I set up accounts and can send email but cannot recieve any. Reading into it i think the problem may be with my MX zone records but am not absolutly sure. I have configured Outlook with my sites email account an can run a test from the account settings panel in outlook. This sends a test mail which does arrive. My zone record set up is

www.smoketraders.com A 208.40.203.208
    www.smoketraders.com MX 1 mail.smoketraders.com.
    mail.smoketraders.com A 208.40.203.208

Is this anywhere near correct? or is there some other problem. I have never had to set up zone records myself before so i dont have much of a clue.

Thanks Mike

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

If you're looking at receiving email @smoketraders.com, then your MX record should be without the www prefix. The way your zone is set up now, it implies email @www.smoketraders.com.

I think the likely correct setup would be to have DNS zone for smoketraders.com (without the www), looking like this:

smoketraders.com A 208.40.203.208
    smoketraders.com MX 1 mail.smoketraders.com.
    mail.smoketraders.com A 208.40.203.208