The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMail problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Wicked, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

Hi

I recently moved some customers to a brand new server and many of them are having issues with there email accounts. I am not sure why or what the issues is but I have at least at least half of the 30 or so customers have issues with email.

Does anyone have any idea on what I may need to do to correct this issue? I am thinking that others have the issue to but they do not use there hosting accounts or there email options with it.

These users did not have issues before they were moved.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone will be able to post any precise solutions if you can't explain what the problems are.

What errors are being generated and under what conditions do they occur?

3. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

I am still trying to get some more detailed information on what the issues are from the users. At first they all say it is a password issue but when i go in and reset there password it still does not work. So I have asked for errror messages and some screen shots from many of them. I will setup a test account now and see if I can get some good details about it.

They cannot send or recieve via the web clients or with Outlook clients.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Fair enough!

Post the details back as soon as you know them and either myself or someone else should be able to post some useful suggestions - there's not really much that can go wrong, however it is necessary to know what is going wrong before any solution can be suggested.

5. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

Ok so here is the error that Outlook gives me.

outlook cound not connect to the incoming POP3 mail server becuase the server did not accept your username and password

Now I have changed the password ten times and it still gives this error.

There is 94 messages in the mail queue in WHM that users cannot get to. They all complain of password issues.

Changing the passwords does nothing

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

sounds like your users are sniffing on stale zones and hitting the old box where the user doesn't exist now. have you thought about dns? Have you tailed the maillog to see what box they are hitting? have you done DIGs to see what the SOA zones say .. is the resolver set up and working on the new box? All the basic 1st grade stuff needs to be done first and then if you can't get it to work then we dig deeper. Doing a pop or imap on your new IP instead of the domain name as the server setting will get you a quick answer about stale dns.

#6 rpmws, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  7. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

I think that some of that was correct as some users have not changed there nameservers and others just have not resolved totally.

What seemed to fix the issue at least for the moment was to restart the mail server on the server via SSH.

I have to keep watching but it seems to be working so far. I do however think I have a problem user still since he has 140 emails in his box and he is the only one not retreiving email at this point as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help guys.