The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tank, Aug 11, 2011.

1. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How much should I throttle emails per hour. I have a client who wants to send out 20,000 emails a week and possibly 1.3 million twice per year.

I have never dealt with email on that level. Will he basically need an entire server to be able to send all that email out, should he use a VPS.

I am defiantly making him buy an IP address because he will blacklist whatever IP address he sends that mail from. Any suggestions or pointers of how to handle a situation like this.

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Even if you have a dedicated IP address being used for the account and it set to use the dedicated IP for exim, sendmail will bypass the setting and anyone using a script that uses sendmail or PHP mail() function rather than SMTP authentication will end up using the main server IP for sending those emails. They will also bypass the email per hour restrictions. As such, you'll have to ask the user to ensure to either use mailman, which does get limited, or to use SMTP authentication in the script.

As for whether the account should be on a VPS server, I think the account shouldn't be on a server with other accounts if it is going to send out 1.3 million emails twice a year. That's a huge amount and will impact everyone else. Any account who has 1.3 million legitimate subscribers should be able to afford to get a VPS or dedicated machine for sending such emails.

3. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great Reply as always Tristan.
    He uses a product called dadamail. If we do accept him,(big if) we will definitely have to consider the ramifications of his account.

Curious question for guys. Any idea how to expect the amount of bandwidth that is required for something like that?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's a good question, but honestly I'm not certain how much bandwidth an email message uses besides the size of the email itself. It cannot be a huge overhead for the data beyond the size of the actual email message. You might want to get an idea from this customer what size those email messages are going to be to get an overall idea of the bandwidth transfer for sending each one out.

5. bikinhoki

bikinhoki Member

hat work for me thank a lot