Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email queue size alert - The exim delivery queue size is 3013

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by SecondSight, Oct 15, 2009.

1. SecondSight

SecondSight Well-Known Member

Hello ! :)

I'm sending an email to all of my board's members (Invision Power Board). I've sent 79 750 emails and there are still 2 949 emails to be sent (50 each minute). So it's nearly finished I think...

But :
    - I received many emails saying "Mail delivery failed : returning message to user".
    - I also received emails saying : "Email queue size alert - The exim delivery queue size is 3013".

I have a few questions now :
    - Should I delete all the messages in queue ?
    - Do you think the messages in queue correspond to non valid email adresses ?
    - How can I get a list of all the emails which are not valid ?
    - Can you advise me about what I should do ?

Thank you ! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Not usually unless there is outbound Spam in the queue and you needed to prevent delivery (not meaning to infer that this is the case but that this is a common reason to why someone may need to clear the queue).

It is entirely possible that the registered forum users no longer have the same e-mail address.

This can be determined by monitoring for the failure e-mails; if you see the same e-mail addresses triggering your message to be bounced back, then it is likely the e-mail address is no longer valid; to be sure you would need to check the specific error detail within each bounce message that you receive.

I would allow more time, perhaps up to 1 week, for the queued messages to have delivery automatically reattempted or automatically removed if they continue to fail due to non-existent recipient addresses.

The Email features via root WHM control panel access should help by allowing to view or check your entire mail queue, including forcing a retry of queued messages or troubleshooting a specific e-mail address:
    WHM: Main >> Email >> Mail Queue Manager
    WHM: Main >> Email >> Mail Troubleshooter

Here is related documentation for the above two features:
    QueueMgr < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    MailTroubleshooter < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

The e-mails with "Email queue size alert" are not from cPanel; this message does not directly indicate a serious problem if you are expecting a larger than normal queue size given the bulk (mass-email) activity taking place. The e-mail is only an informational notice from a third-party product called CSF/LFD. To note, if a graphical interface like that in CSF is preferred, the vendor of CSF also offers a WHM plug-in called "ConfigServer Mail Queues" (CMQ) that might be of help in determining more specific information about each message in your queue including the ability to search the queue:
    http://www.configserver.com/cp/cmq.htm
    http://www.configserver.com/support.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SecondSight

SecondSight Well-Known Member

Thank you ! :)