The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Quota Question --

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by trakwebster, Mar 25, 2003.

1. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

Recently I had a hard disk which died, though fortunately I had a full mirror backup on a second drive. I was able to restore (all except /mnt, /proc, /dev) easily enough. However, on that same day, the ISP chose to handle all my tickets and upgraded kernal, cpanel, mysql, and openssh. It would have been clearer if all these changes had not been made, but they were.

Today, when I created a new email account, it got created OK, but I got the error message --

quota: Can't initialize quota on /dev/hdc1: No such file or directory [mynewemailuser+domain.com]

I kind of get that it's a problem with the quota, presumably for email, and related to the main hard disk. Beyond that I have no clue what this means.

Question #1 -- What does this mean?

Question #2 -- Something's broken. How do I fix it?

2. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

Problem resolved.

I never got any replies to this, but just to put it into the record, it appears that ...

The ISP's new kernal 2.4.20 had an issue with iptables. The ISP replaced the kernal again, using a rpm instead of source. The iptables problem disappeared. I ran /scripts/fixquotas.

The quotas problem mentioned here disappeared.

I think it was a kernal problem with iptables that was rippling down to affect the quota system. (I gather some of the bandwidth monitorning via bandmin script relies upon iptables for it's facts.)