Email received from someone - would like to send them a bounce

80sforever

Registered
Mar 18, 2021
CT
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello everyone. I was hoping that the answer to this question I have is possible to do (and easy).

Here goes.. I have a website with an email address basically [email protected].
Here's the complicated part...

Yesterday I received an email from someone who I would rather not know that the address they sent to exists. Is there a way that I can create a bounce back or mailer daemon to that person being that I already received the email? (so they can get a notification that their email didn't go through)

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I don't have a system-side way to send a bounce message, but it would be easy enough to fake one. I would send a message to a fake address on your domain, and then copy and paste that bounce into a reply, adjusting the wording as necessary.

80sforever

Registered
Mar 18, 2021
CT
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Thanks for your reply. I wonder if there is an automatic bounce back set up automatically or if I need to set one up. Also, any idea of how long it takes to get a bounce back email?

80sforever

Registered
Mar 18, 2021
CT
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I'm sorry. I haven't done this before. I sent an email from my gmail account to an email account that does not exist on my website. This (the attached) is what I got back.

If I were to reply through Outlook to the person who sent me the email, what would I have to put in my from (which would display as my real address since they sent it to me) and the subject line?

Attachments

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The message you're seeing in that attachment is what the standard bounceback message looks like on the system. If you did want to send a reply to that user at all, I would just try and copy/paste things together to make it look like a bounceback, using the same subject line and body. Since you're faking it, it isn't going to be a true bounceback, but as long as it looks the part the average email user isn't going to know the difference.