The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Recovery assistance needed

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jmcwhor1, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jmcwhor1

jmcwhor1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am stressing over this.. if I am asking something other than what I think I am asking I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I migrated to a new hosting service a while back. I copied the entire server contents via FTP before closing the account. Everything was going fine until the site was hacked. The hacker wiped out all of the email accounts and I came to find that the amount of data on the server was large enough that the backup processes skipped it. The only backup that I have is of the raw server files. I need to consolidate these into outlook .pst files for backup storage and later import possibly into an exchange server.

Is there a utility that can identify and convert the files? Do I need to run a Linux VM and then cpanel and connect using outlook to achieve this? I just need some general guidance here. I know networking and internet but I suck at software.

Thank you in advance!
    Josh

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Email data is stored in the following directory:

/home/$username/mail/

Is this data still available for the account? Have you consulted with your hosting provider to see if any backups are available?

Thank you.

3. jmcwhor1

jmcwhor1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. jmcwhor1

jmcwhor1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,
    Unfortunately for us, our hosting provider failed to inform us that the amount of data on the server was causing their automated backup systems to bypass our data. The previous host will only tell us that their server format is "proprietary". I am able to rename the files *.eml which allows me to convert to .pst for transfer but the formatting is off (albeit still readable). I would like to make them perfect but it looks like that's not going to happen. Thank you for your help!