The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email redirection at same domain but another server/IP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by microenlace, Jul 24, 2009.

1. microenlace

microenlace Registered

Hi you all

I am working on migration of all domains from a limitated disk space server (server A xxx.xxx.xxx.6) to a whole new server wich has more available disk space (server B xxx.xxx.xxx.78).

We used at server B the whm option that transfers an image of each domain at a time. No problem here.

Domain X has 21 email accounts and obviously I don't want to loose any email while this proccess go on so, I thought I could forward all incoming email from server A to server B. BUT

How could I make an instruction like this at cpanel?

on xxx.xxx.xxx.6 I would type:

Email redirect

(this is one of the email accounts that exists on old server)

email address: myaccount@domainX.com

destiny: myaccount@domainX.com@xxx.xxx.xxx.78

I Suppose that cpanel will redirect all incoming emails to the mail inbox of myaccount@domainX.com as mirroring all incoming email traffic.

It could work?:

Thanks you all.

#1 microenlace, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Forget all weird ideas and notions of setting up unusual "email redirects" or "forwards" as you are only asking to cause yourself many headaches and will actually cause yourself to lose mail in the process! Then you also have to worry about local and remote delivery of mail and that is a whole entirely separate subject in and of itself.

Something you should know ...

If mail fails to deliver, it will be held in the queues of the sending servers for a while until it can be successfully sent!

Just go ahead now and update the MX record in all the DNS zones on your old server to go to the new server. This can be done in a second using replace commands in /var/named and then leave the Exim mail server DOWN on the new server until you are finished transferring accounts. With the DNS pointing mail to the new server but the new server not providing any mail services, mail will be held in retry in the sending queues until you turn on Exim on the new server and then all the backlogged messages will be flushed to your server within the first 12 hours of you turning on the mail server on the new server and you won't have lost any messages.

Alternatively, you can do nothing at all and just go ahead and transfer the accounts on to the new server as usual and then get the DNS moved on over to the new server and once all that is done, the very last thing that you do before you delete the accounts from the old server is go back in to each account and transfer the mail folder again (/home/*login*/mail) and that will pickup any mail that was delivered to the old server while you were transferring the accounts.

Either of these methods will make it so you don't lose any mail while transferring accounts. Go with whatever is easier for you.

#2 Spiral, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  3. microenlace

microenlace Registered

That's just what I'm talking about and it's easier than I thought :D, I will also share any hint or error due to this migration as it appears.

Thanks dude!