The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email routing problem with an account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gilby, Feb 15, 2005.

1. gilby

gilby Registered

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with an account that I am hosting the website for but not the email. I hope that someone will be able to point me in the right direction for solving this issue. It seems that there is some sort of email routing problem.

As I said, I host the website but I do not host the email. The email works fine except when an email is sent to an email address based off of the account domain name from another account on the same server or from a web form from the account. The default account (catch-all) seems to catch all of the emails rather then send them to the client. They never seem to leave the server. Somehow, the server doesn't know that it isn't responsible for the email.

I have never encountered this problem before, partly because I have never dealt with this sort of setup.

The name servers for this account are controlled by the clients ISP. The ISP then points the A record back at my server IP address. It needs to be setup this way because their ISP has multiple servers to capture their emails that are then handled by their office exchange server.

I imagine that I need to modify the zone file for this account so that the server knows to send the emails sent from the server to the right location.

Can anyone tell me what I need to modify to make this work correctly?

Thanks in advance,
    --Gilby

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You need to remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and put it into /etc/remotedomains (and create the file if it does not already exist). Also, you should ensure that any zonefiles for the domain on the server have the MX record set correctly for the off-server domain where email is to be delivered to.

3. gilby

gilby Registered

Thanks Jonathan!

I really do appreciate your help.

What should this look like?

Can I do this in WHM?

Thanks,
    --Gilby

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The MX record should point to an A record that ion turn points to the IP address of your email server, if necessary.

You have to modify those files from root shell via SSH.

5. gilby

gilby Registered

Thanks for your help

Thank Jonathan,
    I really appreciate your help in resolving this issue. Your solution was right on.

Thanks a bunch,
    --Gilby