The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email rule works when testing but not in real application

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Craig Rollison, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Craig Rollison

Craig Rollison Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    First timer here. looked for this solution with no clear results. Here is the situation -

I am using filters to weed out wacky emails. I am naming the rules with category names for example - extensions, would consist of domain extensions such as .ninja, .work, .xxx and so on.
    I do not edit my file directly, I use the cpanel account level filtering interface. I have structured the rule as this -

RULES:
    from, ends with, .ninja (.ninja being what I want to catch)

ACTIONS:
    Deliver to folder /mydomain.com/kickbacks
    Stop Processing Rules

email that get sent thru the rule: user@stupiddomain.ninja

Now when I use the test form to see if the rule works, it proves to me that it does by showing me all of the information that pertains to it. However, when I check a mail account on a local computer, I see the email that the rule was spose to catch. Why does the test form catch it, but fail when I check the email account that I set the rule for?

As an added bonus, when I change the rule from "ends with" to "contains" they work all the time. The problem i have with the way of checking is I have already had an email that "matched" a string I used ".ca" unfortunatly we have a legit emailer whos email is "A.carr@soinso.com". So this is how I came across this issue. I wanted to check the end of the "from" string. Alas as my previous statement says, its not working. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I did wrong? I did do some reading on how these work, I am computer and internet savvy and I thought I was using it correctly. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Craig

I tried to edit my original post but it would not let me. Here is some additional info:

Just want to be clear when I say I am checking an account to test the rule, I am not sending a test mail from any account I own. I get enough junk mail that all I have to do is wait 5 min and I can run a test knowing it came from the bogus sender that I want to catch.

#1 Craig Rollison, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Craig Rollison

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the info. I will read up on how to edit the filter file directly. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go to get documentation on how to edit the filter file? Unfortunately, this does not completely answer the question of why the filter will work in the test, but not when a real (but bogus) email comes thru. Could there be something wrong with the interface that its not putting in correct syntax in the file when it builds it? Are all cpanels created equally or are there differences between hosting companies that use them? I guess I should have mentioned that I am using a cpanel that is from my hosting company (if that makes a difference). Once again, thank you for any help.

Craig.

4. Craig Rollison

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Update: So in my search for more knowledge, I have answered some of my questions to which i submitted. I am using cpanel version 11.44.3 build 4. I finally called my hosting company and it turns out that when they performed the same rules and tests that I did, they came up with the same results. So they have admitted that there is an issue on their end and that the rules are not working as they should. I thank you again for the help you have provided and proving that I am not as crazy as I previously thought. Cheers.

Craig.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest updating to cPanel version 11.48 if possible. cPanel & WHM 11.44 is set to reach End of Life at the end of June 2015.

Thank you.