The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email seems to be biggest support need

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by superiorhost, Feb 19, 2002.

1. superiorhost

superiorhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Am I alone in seeing that 80% of our support needs seem to be e-mail realated ?

Getting a lot of people saying it is just not going to thier ISP ? (forwarding)

or others that want scripts that run .forward files, and not able to get them to work?

Is it just me,, or is there a reason our email programs don't function like other email programs like procmail.... Yes,, I know we don't use procmail.
    I am just wondering if others are loosing customers because this email system isn't up to par.

Tim L

2. WeinBar

WeinBar Well-Known Member

Hmm, We have never lost a customer to email related issues (or at least they never said). If that was the case, we would be getting support requests on those, but to be honest, we just don't see that being even a minor factor for us.

3. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Email

We are seein more email problem here as well. most notably 'Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B '.

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:6ed27d4b96][i:6ed27d4b96]Originally posted by superiorhost[/i:6ed27d4b96]

Hi,

Getting a lot of people saying it is just not going to thier ISP ? (forwarding)

or others that want scripts that run .forward files, and not able to get them to work?

Is it just me,, or is there a reason our email programs don't function like other email programs like procmail.... Yes,, I know we don't use procmail.
    I am just wondering if others are loosing customers because this email system isn't up to par.

Tim L[/quote:6ed27d4b96]

You might want to run /scripts/mailperm on all your servers..

Make sure all users are using SMTP authentication.

5. superiorhost

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Well, if WeinBar isn't having a big problem with it,, and they have more servers than us,, it must be a specific problem. perhaps to those that came from the vdi data center and moved out and got the new cpanel system.

Not sure, but we have run /scripts/mailperm more times than I can count.

I have two questions then;

In my servers, I have in the /home directory, the following :
    /home/mailaccts
    In thee are mail folders from the old style mail system. These periodically fill and block customers mail quota. Can we safely remove the whole /home/mailaccts directory without hurting anything ?

Other question-
    Is thre any way to make these scripts work that need a .forward file to send email ? The scripts are an Timed autoresponder script that send out multiple replies at pre set dates.

Thanks guys

Tim L

6. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:96ca808197][i:96ca808197]Originally posted by superiorhost[/i:96ca808197]

Hi,
    Well, if WeinBar isn't having a big problem with it,, and they have more servers than us,, it must be a specific problem. perhaps to those that came from the vdi data center and moved out and got the new cpanel system.

Not sure, but we have run /scripts/mailperm more times than I can count.

I have two questions then;

In my servers, I have in the /home directory, the following :
    /home/mailaccts
    In thee are mail folders from the old style mail system. These periodically fill and block customers mail quota. Can we safely remove the whole /home/mailaccts directory without hurting anything ?

Other question-
    Is thre any way to make these scripts work that need a .forward file to send email ? The scripts are an Timed autoresponder script that send out multiple replies at pre set dates.

Thanks guys

Tim L

[/quote:96ca808197]

Why can't you just create a forwarder to

|/home/user/something.pl

in cpanel ?

7. superiorhost

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Nick,
    I will give that a try,, but I think they tried it. I will let you know what happens.

Tim L

8. SplashHost.com

SplashHost.com Well-Known Member

mail seems to be buggy on my servers as well, just seems to stop allowing you to connect to pop sometimes and the same with sending mail, giving exim and cpanel a restart seems to fix it until the next time

9. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

[quote:2b7ecbbf04][i:2b7ecbbf04]Originally posted by Nico[/i:2b7ecbbf04]

We are seein more email problem here as well. most notably 'Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B '.[/quote:2b7ecbbf04]I might be mistaken... but the error you specified seems to be related to the fact that MSN, AOL, Earthlink and other providers out there have blocked access to their users for port 25

You might want to send your clients to this link and see if it helps them: http://supportservices.msn.com/us/content/qanda/_email_port25.htm

I haven't seen much trouble with e-mail aside from this and it's definetely not a cpanel problem.

10. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

MSN

Yes, I ran across that at www.technet.com. Unfortunately they are not using those ISP's. I have one with tampabay.rr.com that is getting the same error. They have recreated the account in their email client and Cpanel with and without the autoconfig and get the same error. I have ran /scripts/mailperm. /scripts/fixrelayd, restarted exim and rebooted all to no avail. Roadrunner reports they are not blocking access. The NOC is not blocking his IP range either.

11. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:f006175475][i:f006175475]Originally posted by Nico[/i:f006175475]

Yes, I ran across that at www.technet.com. Unfortunately they are not using those ISP's. I have one with tampabay.rr.com that is getting the same error. They have recreated the account in their email client and Cpanel with and without the autoconfig and get the same error. I have ran /scripts/mailperm. /scripts/fixrelayd, restarted exim and rebooted all to no avail. Roadrunner reports they are not blocking access. The NOC is not blocking his IP range either. [/quote:f006175475]

Can the customer telnet to port 25 on the server ?

12. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:156636e223][i:156636e223]Originally posted by Elena[/i:156636e223]

[quote:156636e223][i:156636e223]Originally posted by Nico[/i:156636e223]

We are seein more email problem here as well. most notably 'Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B '.[/quote:156636e223]I might be mistaken... but the error you specified seems to be related to the fact that MSN, AOL, Earthlink and other providers out there have blocked access to their users for port 25

You might want to send your clients to this link and see if it helps them: http://supportservices.msn.com/us/content/qanda/_email_port25.htm

I haven't seen much trouble with e-mail aside from this and it's definetely not a cpanel problem.[/quote:156636e223]

You wouldn't have to have a list of providers that block port 25 ? I'd like to link to these inside the email manager as this should cut down on support..

13. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Telnet

[quote:5d94677f5d][i:5d94677f5d]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:5d94677f5d]
    Can the customer telnet to port 25 on the server ?[/quote:5d94677f5d]

Yes, they can telnet to port 25 with no problems. I also had them do a traceroute and nslookup from their location. Their ISPs DNS servers resolve the domain and mail.domain.com. The trace route looks good as well.

14. patchwork

patchwork Well-Known Member

[quote:1ad9efe998]

Getting a lot of people saying it is just not going to thier ISP ?
    [/quote:1ad9efe998]

Just recently I discoved why some emails sent by various scripts on my server were failing. The source of the problem was my local DNS settings, I discovered the problem by looking in the exim_mainlog file. In the log I fould lots of error messages just like this &Sender address rejected: Domain not found&, basically the problem was I had not set-up subdomains on my main server domain.

To solve the problem I had to add my machine name as a sub domain on the servers main domain.

Eg.. if your server name is &super& and your main server domain is superiorhost.com, then you have to make sure http://super.superiorhost.com is a valid address.

Then when the target server does a domain lookup for nobody@super.superiorhost.com it does resolve to a valid IP address, if it doesn't resolve, then some target servers will reject the email.

Pete

15. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

The ones I listed are the only ones I know of from reports and investigation I had to undergo to solve this specific problem for my clients. MSN seems to be the only provider that has it listed in their knowledgebase, go figure.

16. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

No, you are not alone. Same here. It is Exim. It is a problem. I have never been happy with it. Most of our support issues are email related. It is frustrating, since email is so integral to our customers.