The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Send Error Notification

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Yanzo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Yanzo

Yanzo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi there, as the title suggests I would like to know if there's a way to get a notfication when an email fails to send from another account.

Just to help you understand what I'm asking I'll use an example.

Email 1: Sends email that fails to send (appears red on the email trace due to an error)
    -system sends notification of error from email 1 to email 2-
    Email 2: Recieves error notification

The only thing I found similar to what I need was in the default address where it sends an error back to the sender, but in my case the emails sent out are automated so I would need a notification sent to a different email address that people use/have easy access/isn't spammed.

Thanks for the help (hope I'm posting this in the right area since I am a little new to this).

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This largely depends on the type of failure. Are these failures occurring at SMTP time, or are they messages that are sent out, and then bounced by the receiving server? For bounced messages, you can setup an email filter in cPanel under:

"User Level Filtering"

There are several rules you can pick from, including "is an error message". For the action, you can redirect the message to the email address of your choice. User level filtering is documented at:

User Level Filtering

Thank you.

3. Yanzo

Yanzo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I don't think they're being bounced. Most of the errors are SMTP errors like:

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT

The first error usually comes in as multiple emails, I think it must be trying to re-send the email a couple of times and then giving up since the emails that get sent out shouldn't be getting sent out in the numbers that are being shown in the trace.

Thank you for the help. Hopefully the filtering is applicable to my errors.

Edit: This seems to be what I was looking for and had worked in sending me deilvery failure messages even when the failures are from a different account, so thank you very much.

#3 Yanzo, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012