The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email sent but no record in Sent Folder

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by satimis, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. satimis

satimis Member

Hi all,

Firefox running on Ubuntu 16.04
    Squirrel webmail
    Godaddy server

Sent a webmail online with attachment about 20M. The webmail sent without problem and received correctly by the recipient together with the attachment. But there is no record on the Sent Folder. I have tested 3 times having the same result. Please advise how to fix the problem.

This problem has occurred in the past when I sent a webmail with big size attachment.

Regards
    satimis

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

It appears the webmail is not configured to store the mails with attachment in the send items. You can use Horde for testing, which also do not have this configuration by default, but you can enable it as follows:

• Select Preferences >> Mail.
    • In the Compose column, locate and click on Sent Mail.
    • Beneath the line which states Save attachments in the sent-mail message?, click on the drop-down field and select Save attachments.
    • Click on Save.

3. satimis

satimis Member

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

The funny thing here is sometime it retains the mail in the Sent Folder but another time it doesn't. However the webmail was sent without problem and the recipient can receive it also without problem. This case happens when sending webmail with attachment >20M in size which are pdf files.

On SquirrelMail options I couldn't discover any item related.

I'm now considering installing mail client in anticipation to overcome this problem.

Regards
    satimis

4. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I guess squirrelmail does not provide this functionality in the webmail.

SquirrelMail - Webmail for Nuts!

You can try horde or roundcube that is provided with the cPanel.

5. satimis

satimis Member

Hi,

Now I use Thunderbird, the mail client, instead to sort out the problem. The amazing is sometimes SquirrelMail retains the message in the Sent Folder after its dispatching but another time it fails. I have tested it several times, attaching the same pdf files to the webmails sent.

Regards
    satimis

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you confirm if the affected messages sent via SquirrelMail show up in the Sent mail folder in other email clients (e.g. Roundcube)? If so, do you notice any output to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log when opening the Sent mail folder in SquirrelMail?

Thank you.

7. satimis

satimis Member

Hi,

I'm not the only user using SquirrelMail. If I change it to Roundcube would other users be affected?

Thanks

Regards
    satimis

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you elaborate on your last response? You can use multiple Webmail clients (e.g. Horde, Roundcube, SquirrelMail) at the same time.

Thank you.

9. satimis

satimis Member

Hi,

This is share hosting. Several users use this webmail with different login and password. I'm not the only user.

Should I change SquirrelMail to Roundcube would it affect other users because they are running SquirrelMail to receive webmail

On right-click my account icon it shows a drop menu (please refers to the attached photo). From there I can select Roundcube. Would the messages in Inbox/Sent etc folders be deleted automatically. In case of problem can I revert it Screenshot_selection.png back to SquirrelMail

Thanks

Regards
    satimis

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Webmail applications offered in cPanel use IMAP. Email data is preserved and synced on the server-side, regardless of which webmail application you are using. Thus, accessing the email through another webmail application won't delete existing email data.

However, you mentioned this email account is shared between multiple users. Are you sure one of the other users isn't receiving/sending email via a third-party email client (outside of webmail)? If so, the email client they use may store the sent messages on their local email client, but not on the server, leading to the issue you have described where some messages are missing.

Thank you.