The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email set up questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Abby777, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Abby777

Abby777 Registered

Hello Everyone,

I do not wish to use the webmail option, please keep that in mind.

1. I have the problem of some jerk using my domain as a bulk spam email address and I get all the bounced emails in my mail.

2. Is there a way to create email accounts that DON'T use the webmail? I created some accounts and had them forwarded to my ISP address however, the webmail still catches them as well and uses up my server space.

Also, I STILL get 'catchall' email as well, thus the first problem.

If I was not clear, this is another way of saying what I want.

I want to create an email address such as me@mydomain.com and have it fowarded to
    me@yahoo.com

I DO NOT want it also stored on my mydomain.com server space (if possible)

AND

I would like to disable ppl being able to send to anything@mydomain.com and me getting
    it.

Any detailed instructions on what I am doing wrong and what I should have my settings at?

Thank you for your time,
    Abby

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    First, I wouldn't be forwarding any mail thru your server to yahoo, hotmail or anywhere else, your server might get blacklisted. Search these forums to read more on that issue. If you're not sure how to setup your mail server, for the moment I'd suggest killing all your email accounts until you are, or better yet, spend a few bucks and have it taken care of for you.

You might try here, http://www.configserver.com/cp/exploit.html

And/or here, http://www.configserver.com/cp/cpanel.html

Your post, is almost word for word indentical to many other threads on this subject on these forums. The answers you seek are here. You just need to dig around a little and find them. If you're too busy to dig, hire someone and get locked down quick and easy. The price is certainly worth it. Ask anyone here who uses those services.

Meantime, you might want to read this about all that bounced mail backing up in your account.
    http://www.configserver.com/free/fail.html

This is a really a deep subject so the links above are some of the quickest way to the answers and less problems, IMHO.

3. Abby777

Abby777 Registered

Thank you for the info. I will try and dig though it soon.

I am confused as to why cPanel doesn't address this issue easily.
    Is there another program I can purchase that will?

Web mail is an required option but it isn't desirable to use over a regular email account
    and that email software.

I had to contact my hosting company to allow me to change the "default email"
    settings. Now I have to wait for their response.

Best regards,
    Abby

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Webmail isn't required to be used at all. I never use it myself unless I'm on the road and don't have my notebook with me. You can check your mail from any PC by going to yourdomain.com/webmail/

But your mail will must go thru the server. It's the only way to get yourname@yourdomain.com emails. But you can receive and send without going thru anyone like yahoo. As you should do. IMO of course.

In the mail section there are video tutorials that show you a bit about how to setup a mail account. And there's an area there with the configuration settings for Outlook Express and the exact details for all other mail clients you might be running on your PC.

IMO, you shouldn't need your host at all to setup your own email account. cPanel has you covered with all the details in your cPanel, for the most part.

As for server email security, they do have it addressed somewhat, but security and server administration is up to the individual server admin. (your host)

If they're not very helpful, you might want to shop around for someone else.

Good luck. :)

5. Abby777

Abby777 Registered

I didn't explain: I had to contact my host because they shut off the default due to spam.

This is one of the reasons why I want to be able to control the email address' of my domain.

I want abby@mydomain.com to work but not anything@mydomain.com to work.

6. dotancohen

dotancohen Member

In Cpanel:
    Mail -> Default Address -> Set Default Address
    Now erase the default email address.

7. Abby777

Abby777 Registered

That is obviouos. Do you ppl not actually read before you respond? The same ppl must be running the hosting companies I've tried. Their responses are as useless and indicated they don't read the questions.

Mail -> Default Address -> Set Default Address is obvious and if you think I'm that stupid, don't bother wasting your time "answering" my questions and taking up more space on this message forum.