The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Solution????

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cguimont, Nov 24, 2004.

1. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have a question about email configuration( which one would be the best one)
    I know there are 3 possibilities:
    -Cpanel's
    -Exiscan by anand
    -Mailscanner

My problem is that I have a lot of email that comes into the server but in fact, most of them is spam or and virus(around 3/mins). THe current setup that I have is Cpanel one. Since when Spam3 was released, I had many complains that some email was not getting into their mailbox. After some Searching, I desiabled Spam3 and it did the job. I guess that SPamassassion was getting the mails before clamd and I would like it to be the contrary.
    But now, I would like to enable SpamAssassin. So, could anyone give me advices on what i should do?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have a decent amount of memory installed on your server (1GB) or you have less but the server is lightly used, then MailScanner would be your best bet as it's more configurable and is likely to stop more spam. If you have a heavily loaded server without much memory, then exiscan might be a better bet, though MailScanner can be tuned to work in such environments (I've configured it for clients with 256MB of memory before now without problems).

One thing you can do which actually relieves load on the server, is to install an Exim dictionary attack ACL:
    http://www.webumake.com/free/eximdeny.htm

If you can change your Default Address for your domains to :fail:, the ACL can seriously cut down on the amount of spam that you receive.

3. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

yep.. I got plenty of ram for what is on the server.( I got 1 Gb)
    If I use MailScanner, Will my users be able to use SPamAssassin Extension in Cpanel and also all the email settings as Boxtrapper...

Thanks

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

With MailScanner: SpamAssassin in cPanel - No. BoxTrapper - Yes.

There is a MailScanner front-end for cPanel, though - but it is part of my package and not available separately:
    http://www.webumake.com/services/msfe.htm

5. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Hey Chirpy,

Just wanted to say you rock for this solution:

http://www.webumake.com/free/eximdeny.htm

I had scripted up a sloppy hack of BFD to block these in my firewall, but this is so much more efficient and elegant. Also, this way there is no risk of blocking web access :) Thanks a bunch for your great contributions to the forum! It is working great on our servers :D

Best Regards!

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

:) My pleasure, I'm glad it's working well for you.

7. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

Hi Jonathan.... this is an great setup.... i've had it running for 10 minutes, and my exim_deny file already has 29 IP addresses.... only two domains on the server get these attacks, but I'm sure this will help out...

just for clarification.... if I run the /etc/exim_deny.pl manually while logged in via SSH or via a cron job, it clears out the list, correct?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you run it once, it will clear own IP's older than the last time it ran under CRON. If you run it again, it will then empty out the file. Alternatively, you can just do:

cat /dev/null > /etc/exim_deny

9. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

thanks....

is there a way to reference an external file from within the apf file: deny_hosts.rules to deny access to port 25 to all servers listed in the exim_deny?

would this be less load? maybe if the spamming server can't even connect to port 25 at all, it might drop the domain/IP from it's database?

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

11. rmbnet

rmbnet Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in here and thank Chirpy for a great job and outstanding service installing his mailscanner front end, WELL WORTH the $!!!! AND... get this.. he completed it on Christmas Eve! Thanks .. and it's running GREAT!