The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email spamming issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aikigi, Oct 18, 2013.

1. aikigi

aikigi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum and don't have advanced knowledge with WHM/cpanel, but I definitively want to learn.

A while back I got hacked. I believe I corrected the problem but since I receive a lot of cPHulK login attempts (which I black list...)

Now I got hacked again!! But I don't understand what going on. Following is an example of the email I get:

[REMOVED EMAIL]

The website mentioned was a testing site. I deleted it, I also cleared the email queue in WHM and changed password from this account but I still receive that email.

As it shows to be delivery failure email, could it be just be a delivery failure message from sent email before I delete the email queue? but it's been 3 days.

If not what can I do? What step should I follow to found out where is the problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's likely a bounce message from a failed delivery that was sent out when the account was spamming. I recommend monitoring the /var/log/exim_mainlog and your mail queue to make sure additional messages are not sending out from that account. The following document is also helpful:

cPanel - Prevent Email Abuse

Thank you.

3. aikigi

aikigi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you very much for your advise. I will way a little and see if it does stop. I also look at the documentation again. I think the attack happen through my testing site so hopefully the measure I took will be enough.

I was also wondering where I could find a good course to learn how to use WHM/cPanel. Would you have a recommendation?

Sincerely.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our documentation is a very good resource:

cPanel Documentation

Thank you.