Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Email timed out while receiving the initial server greeting

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by jose2019, May 22, 2019.

1. jose2019

jose2019 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have a hosting and we are seeing that we have many bounce messages with the following error:

"dsn = 4.4.2, status = deferred (conversation with xdomain.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] timed out while receiving the initial server greeting)"

The destination IPs of the mails that I see in queue, are all servers with a cpanel.

Have you made any changes at a general level that block by number of connections per hour or something? (keeping in mind the default configuration)

The SPF, DKIM and PTR records are correct on domains.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm not aware of changes that would have caused this behavior but you may want to check your IP against RBL's to ensure that there's not any blacklisting in place.

Otherwise, there's a large number of things that could cause that behavior, spam filtering that is flagging you for some reason, greylisting, an email filter, firewall blocking, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jose2019

jose2019 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Blacklisting I don't think so, because we have many customers with the same problem and different IPs, for that reason my doubt as to whether it is not a problem of some new function or control that the cpanel may have.

Firewall blocking I do not think so, because they sometimes are sent and the mails arrive at destination, and after a few minutes they are blocked again, as if there was a control in the destination server that limits them for time or something. And some mails queued are more than 24 hours trying to send.

I do not know what it could be.

-Is greylisting active by default?
    -Are these the default values of greylisting? Greylisting - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Greylisting is disabled on the server by default but can be enabled by going to WHM>>Email>>Greylisting

The default values are shown under the Configuration Settings tab of the documentation. Just to ensure relevance here is the v80 documentation: Greylisting - Version 80 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...