email to account at hostname is now unrouteable

hostseeker

Sep 4, 2001
One of my servers has stopped delivering bounced email to [email protected] I didn't change anything. The error message is:

---------
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host hostname.mydomain.com [216.38.xx.xxx]: 550 Unrouteable address

------

Version is WHM 11.38.1 (build 13). I am on the release channel and automatic updating is allowed. My other server is on the same version of Cpanel and it still returns bounced sent by the server sendmail to [email protected]

I need the bounced emails to come to the [email protected] because when a script on the server sends email to a bad address I need to delete that bad address from my list.

hostseeker

Sep 4, 2001
Hello :)

What email address are you using to send out emails to the "[email protected]" email address on your server? Does the sender's email address actually exist?

Thank you.
Let me try to explain better.

A script on the server will send out an email to one of my registered users using sendmail. If the user's email address has become invalid since he registered the email used to bounce back to me via [email protected] (example if the account name was blue and the host name was red.mydomain.com it would be sent to [email protected]). This has always worked for several years until it stopped a couple of weeks ago and now shows [email protected] as unrouteable.

I need the bounced email so I can delete the users whose email have become invalid.

Thank you for your help.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
There may be some sender verification settings in the "Exim Configuration Manager" that are different between the two servers. Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at the actual email addresses used and attempt to reproduce the behavior? You can open a support ticket via:

Submit A Ticket

Post the ticket number here and we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
To update, it looks like this was the result of an entry for the hostname in the following file:

Code:
/etc/userdomains
The entry was removed from "/var/cpanel/users/system" and the /etc/userdomains file was updated via:

Code:
/scripts/updateuserdomains
The intended email delivery address was then able to function as expected.

Thank you.

timvie

Aug 15, 2003
I am having this same issue. Not sure what entry I should remove from "/var/cpanel/users/system"

I see an entry for [email protected] system in the /etc/userdomains file but not in /var/cpanel/users/system file?

Any help would be great....

Ok I did find a DNS1 entry for the hostname in the /var/cpanel/users/system and removed that and ran the /scripts/updateuserdomains

Still getting the LOG: MAIN
** [email protected]: Unrouteable address issue...

This all took place when I went to version 11.40. I have another server on 11.36 still works fine...

Guess I should have not updated....

I removed everything in /var/cpanel/users/system and ran update script and now it seems to be working as before.

Thanks...

Last edited:

cPanelPeter

Technical Analyst III
Staff member
Sep 23, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

Please open a support ticket using the link in my signature below. One of our technical analysts will be happy to log in and investigate this for you and provide a solution.

cPanelMichael

Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I removed everything in /var/cpanel/users/system and ran update script and now it seems to be working as before.
Thank you for updating us with the outcome. Note that if anyone else experiences this issue and chooses to open a support ticket, please ensure you post your ticket number here so we can update this thread as needed.

amityweb

Nov 16, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I also have this issue. Never knew emails were not being bounced back until I looked at logs.

What is the solution please? Can you just post here instead of raising tickets, would save a lot of trouble.

Thanks