The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Trace

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wejofost, Jun 21, 2012.

1. wejofost

wejofost Member

Jun 21, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have lots of email problems but i have found the Email Trace option very helpful but verbose.
    does anyone know how to download it into word/excel/sql so that I can chop out the bits I don't need?( like the 110s of OK messages )
  2. wejofost

wejofost Member

Jun 21, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    This has been open for 12 days and over 40 reads but no replies.
    This is a massive black hole in our system which we were unaware of ( now reported by cpanel Email Trace ). A real case of If ignorance is Bliss it is folly to be wise!
    Can some one point me in the right direction to be able to filter or organise an export of the Email Trace data. Is API2 checkmaindiscard a possible route. Has anyone tried it?

Sorry but very serious problem to us ( and must be lots of other people who are unaware of the issue which tends to be random and intermittent ). Email Trace is the first time we have been able to track the fault and react to it. Before Email Trace it was just one of those "internet/email funnies". Now, thanks to Email Trace it is a known issue. We wish to be able to react in real time.

If any one requires further clarification or info please contact me.

#2 wejofost, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What problem is it that you're having here, you're unclear on that part.

I can't answer the question of how to download into excel.

# traceroute --help
      traceroute [ -46dFITUnrAV ] [ -f first_ttl ] [ -g gate,... ] [ -i device ] [ -m max_ttl ] [ -N squeries ] [ -p port ] [ -t tos ] [ -l flow_label ] [ -w waittime ] [ -q nqueries ] [ -s src_addr ] [ -z sendwait ] host [ packetlen ]
      -4                          Use IPv4
      -6                          Use IPv6
      -d  --debug                 Enable socket level debugging
      -F  --dont-fragment         Set DF (don't fragment bit) on
      -f first_ttl  --first=first_ttl
                                  Start from the first_ttl hop (instead from 1)
      -g gate,...  --gateway=gate,...
                                  Route packets throw the specified gateway
                                  (maximum 8 for IPv4 and 127 for IPv6)
      -I  --icmp                  Use ICMP ECHO for tracerouting
      -T  --tcp                   Use TCP SYN for tracerouting
      -U  --udp                   Use UDP datagram (default) for tracerouting
      -i device  --interface=device
                                  Specify a network interface to operate with
      -m max_ttl  --max-hops=max_ttl
                                  Set the max number of hops (max TTL to be
                                  reached). Default is 30
      -N squeries  --sim-queries=squeries
                                  Set the number of probes to be tried
                                  simultaneously (default is 16)
      -n                          Do not resolve IP addresses to their domain names
      -p port  --port=port        Use destination port port. It is an initial value
                                  for the UDP destination port (incremented by each
                                  probe, default is 33434), for the ICMP seq number
                                  (incremented as well, default from 1), and the
                                  constant destination port for TCP tries (default
                                  is 80)
      -t tos  --tos=tos           Set the TOS (IPv4 type of service) or TC (IPv6
                                  traffic class) value for outgoing packets
      -l flow_label  --flowlabel=flow_label
                                  Use specified flow_label for IPv6 packets
      -w waittime  --wait=waittime
                                  Set the number of seconds to wait for response to
                                  a probe (default is 5.0). Non-integer (float
                                  point) values allowed too
      -q nqueries  --queries=nqueries
                                  Set the number of probes per each hop. Default is
      -r                          Bypass the normal routing and send directly to a
                                  host on an attached network
      -s src_addr  --source=src_addr
                                  Use source src_addr for outgoing packets
      -z sendwait  --sendwait=sendwait
                                  Minimal time interval between probes (default 0).
                                  If the value is more than 10, then it specifies a
                                  number in milliseconds, else it is a number of
                                  seconds (float point values allowed too)
      -A  --as-path-lookups       Perform AS path lookups in routing registries and
                                  print results directly after the corresponding
      -V  --version               Print version info and exit
      --help                      Read this help and exit
    +     host          The host to traceroute to
          packetlen     Specify an alternate probe packet length (default is 40).
                        Useless for TCP SYN
  4. wejofost

wejofost Member

Jun 21, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I did not understand your previous reply. I did understand that you asked me What is the problem? Here it is:-
    We are an internet based vehicle hire business. We have been operating for over 6 years. All initial contact by our customers with us is via our websites.
    Once a customer has contacted us via our websites, 20%+ of our further contact is by Text/SMS and phone. The other 80% is by email. This generates over 2000 emails a week.
    The emails can be split into two distinct and separate groups.
    1). The vast majority ( about 90% ) are emails generated by our websites programs sending further information to our customers and purchase paperwork when business is completed on-line. In all cases the Email addresses used by us to contact the customer are the email addresses provided to us by the customers which are stored in our system.
    2).The balance ( 10% ) of Emails are generated by our staff in response to queries originating from our customers ( such areas as Customer services, Sales enquiries, Complaints and Thank You messages). Again in all cases the Email addresses used are those provided to us by the customers .
    With the introduction of cpanel Version 11.32.3 Build 21 we have become aware of the number of emails being rejected by the expected destination addresses as, after a specific threshold is exceeded, a temporary block in all emails is enforced on all in and out going emails for a fixed period.
    An example of the error reported is :-
    Domain ( our domain name ) has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (7/5 (10%)) allowed. Message discarded.
    If the rejected message was generated by our staff via the cpanel route the sending user will get a “failed to deliver” message so is aware that the email has not been delivered and can take some corrective action.
    If the rejected message was generated by our web site programs no one is informed and so we do not know of the message failure and so no action is taken unless the customer complains of the lack of the message.
    Why are email messages rejected?
    Mainly badly addressed emails. ( That is the email address provided by the customer is wrong.)
    Some of our emails have PDF paper work attached and some receiving domains do not like attachments so reject the mail. We do warn our customers about this and in many cases, when we know there is a problem we can email their paperwork to an alternative address.
    Using the cpanel Email Trace we now know that about 5% of emails are being bounced. The emails being sent by our websites are the problem that we wish to address.
    Looking at the output provided by Email Trace we have to trawl through several hundred OK email reports to identify and extract the failures.
    Using Email Trace how can we only retrieve the failures? Or can we extract the Email Trace report to an external file and use off line methods ( Excel filtering?? ).
    Is there a facility that allows us to filter the contents of Email Trace or is it possible to access the email logs where we can retrieve them and convert to Excel?
    The best solution would be for all failed message reports to be sent to a program that would alert support staff.
    Help please.