The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email transfer from backup server to main server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jamina1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jamina1

jamina1 Member

Hello all -

We have our dns set up so that, in the case our main server goes down, the dns will automatically switch over to our backup server. This happened for the first time today and everything went just as planned. However, we failed to realize that email delivered to the backup server would be stuck there.

Basically we have several accounts established on both servers. Both servers believe they are the one authority for domain.com. If I try to forward mail to joe@domain.com to the main server from the backup server, it just sends it internally back to itself.

What I need is a way to tell it to deliver it to the IP address of the main server, not the domain name, as it believes it IS the domain name. I tried joe@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to no avail. I tried joe@mail.domain.com (which resolves to the main server's IP).

No luck either way. How can I successfully transfer about 2 hours worth of email to the main server so we don't lose valuable business correspondence?

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

remove the domain name from /etc/localdomains
    and

add it to /etc/remotedomains

But do check before proceeding for all domains, test it before you make this switch.

3. jamina1

jamina1 Member

THank you!

Unfortunately we still had to go through each account and forward each message by hand. But at least it got the messages off the server, thanks much!