The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email, updates, iptables Issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 1Eagle1, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 1Eagle1

1Eagle1 Member

I've a new install of cpanel that will not let me receive mail. I've searched the forums and net, tried every fix I could find except rolling back to php 4.3.3 or 4.3.11 and still no luck.

cpanel has been pretty unstable a couple times in past couple days too. It spits out errors about being unable to connect, fatal error, etc. But the mail has been consistently the problem.

I have a pretty standard install; php 4.4.1, WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-R113 Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0, Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.25 OpenSSL/0.9.7f PHP-CGI/0.1b

I'd also like to know what happens to iptables when cpanel is installed. Its supposed to be there but I can't find it and get errors when trying to set rules.

I've used cpanel many times in past setups but this is the worst experience I've had to date. It has not worked out of the box even when trying clean installs on new machines .... twice!

Sure could use some ideas or help. Thanks

2. 1Eagle1

1Eagle1 Member

This is the error message from mail sent to domains on server:

webmaster@net-integration.net R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery:
    Child process of virtual_sa_userdelivery transport
    (running command "/usr/sbin/sendmail -bS") was terminated
    by signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

Hardware has all checked fine.

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Segfaults are generally related to memory issues.

On a fully working system, that is one where there are no problems with the memory, a segfault will most likely occur due to a program trying to access some portion of memory that it is not allowed to access.

So that leaves us with two options: the program responsible for the segfault, in this case Exim, is to blame, or your have faulty RAM.

You could always give /scripts/eximup --force a go to reinstall things, and maybe even /scripts/upcp --force.

Other than that, you might want to try posting some more specific details regarding your system to see if anyont else with a similar system is encountering the same problem - exact OS and kernel versions wouldn't be a bad start.

You might also want to test your RAM to see if that is the cause of the fault - quite likely if you're encountering a number of seemingly unrelated issues. I'm not sure how you'd do this.

Lastly, since this seems to be a bit of a severe problem, you should really log a ticket with cPanel to let them investigate.

4. 1Eagle1

1Eagle1 Member

ram checked and good. Did the exim and cpanel runs as described already. No success.
    This has happened on two separate installs (rebuilt box and installed again)

Operating system Fedora (Linux)
    Kernel version 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
    Machine Type i686
    Apache version 1.3.34 (Unix)
    PERL version 5.8.7
    PHP version 4.4.1
    MySQL version 4.0.25-standard
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel Build 10.8.1-RELEASE 113

I've checked mx records, rebuilt bind, tried any number of things I could find. It all comes back to exim IMO.

Any other thoughts on the issue from anyone is appreciated and in the meantime I'm going to open a ticket..

5. 1Eagle1

1Eagle1 Member

It seems this is cpanel's sendmail wrapper erroring out. This was pointed out to me by a tech at my provider who found this topic.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=43717&page=2&pp=15&highlight=sendmail

This I also found and tried previous but without success. So I started looking at DNS issues which was clearly off base. The tech ran it again a bit ago and it worked this time.

the solution:

rm -f /etc/eximmailtrap

... the binary runs from the command line now and the mail works.

6. 1Eagle1

1Eagle1 Member

FYI:

This did not work after all. Bind screwed up, exim had fits and even more server software errors occurred ultimitely leading to a completely unusable system. Nothing works now, updates and fix scripts fail, and most services will not stay running. Forced to rebuild again :( I think after 2 failures on clean installs its time to drop the control panel.