Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

email: use forwarding or filter?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by speleo, Jan 17, 2006.

1. speleo

speleo Member

OK - I've read the thin manual and can't get my head around this one. Newbee alert!

I want to set up some email accounts on the hosted domain and then route all mail into those accounts to other users@another_domain on a 1-2-1 mapping.

Forwarding:
    I have to create an account on the server otherwise I get messages bouncing with recipient not found errors. Then when I create a forwarder I get a copy saved on the server until it is removed via a pop3 client (or webmail). This doesn’t seem right.

So a few questions:

Does a user have to have an account on the mail server to stop mails be rejected with a some kind of 550 error?
    When a mail arrives at the server what is the workflow? Is it: Arrives>Check filter>Check forwarder>place in inbox?
    Is filtering the answer?

This should be simple (it is with plesk) not rocket science… sorry if this sounds a real dumb question but I’ve done trial and error in the dark. Would be a bit easier with some facts.
    PS… I don’t have access to all those nice tools like exim.

2. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

I think it's this way;
    Arrives>Check forwarder>Check filter>place in inbox

There is also an option to forward all e-mail from a certain domain to another domain.

3. speleo

speleo Member

ahh.. but I believe the forwarder sends a copy of the email to the new address and the "origional" still ends up in the inbox. So I need a filter to get rid of the "origional". Why not just have a filter in the first place?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

A forwarder doesn't require a POP account.

Just a forwarder - mail is forwarded
    Just a POP - mail goes there
    Both - does both

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...