The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Username Format?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by i3903, May 4, 2007.

1. i3903

i3903 Well-Known Member

cPanel provides username@domain.com or username+domain.com to users.
    Is it possible to simply force 'username' without the domain name?
    This will be a server hosting one single website.

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

a very very long time ago ..when a domain used a dedicated IP address, this would work. I am not sure if it does now or not.

3. ckrewt

ckrewt Registered

i know this is an old thread to bump i was just curious is it possible? we have taken on a large client who has roughly 200 email accounts, All the users have username001/002 etc etc set for there pop3 logins and i want to be able to use the same username/password scheme as there current server to save contacting 200 customers with new username/password details, How can this be done?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Full e-mail address is required

Using the full e-mail address is required, due to the way e-mail username and password information is stored. Each domain has its own passwd and shadow file, and the POP/IMAP service needs the full e-mail address in order to know which passwd and shadow files to check for authentication information. There is no way to work around this.

Not using the full username only applies when logging into FTP on an account that has a dedicated IP address. This is a different authentication system from that used by e-mail. The full e-mail address must be used when accessing a mailbox using POP or IMAP, whether from a mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird or using Webmail.

The only case in which this does not apply to e-mail is logging in with the account's cPanel username, which is only for accessing the default account mailbox.