The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email with a Mapped Domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by timmmmyboy, May 10, 2014.

1. timmmmyboy

timmmmyboy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a client who wanted to use their domain with a different hosted service but still take advantage of our server for email, subdomains, etc. They pointed the main domain's A record to the IP address of the new service but now their email addresses are not working. When looking at the DNS I see mail is setup as a CNAME pointing to the main domain. I tried switching that to be an A record pointing to the IP of our server to see if that would work. As of yet it hasn't (although DNS propagation could be an issue there). Are there other things I should be doing to accomplish this, or is this kind of setup even possible?

2. timmmmyboy

timmmmyboy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I ended up figuring this out by modifying the MX record to point to the DNS entry I created that points to our server instead of the default which is the main domain. (Seems obvious in hindsight!)

3. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Yes, there's usually always 2 steps to this process. First set the A record for mail to your IP address and second, set the MX record to mail.domain.tld instead of just domain.tld.

Glad you got it sorted out, thanks for updating this thread.