The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails and server playing up!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by joe.odell, Nov 23, 2011.

1. joe.odell

joe.odell Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Emails not being delivered to right plac

Hello,

I'm having a problem with mail on my server, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what to do?

Earlier today, I got the following error;
    For which I then ran /scripts/fixvaliases. However, now I am getting the following error on a bounce back whenever I send emails to accounts or forwarders set up on the server. However, the email usually ends up being delivered to the intended recipient.

I've since checked /etc/hosts and verified that everything's right, and after doing that have run /scripts/mailperm and /scripts/fixeverything to no avail.

I've also noticed that when running a Mail Troubleshooter on a certain forwarder, I get the actual email first, and then root@<domain> appears later.

Any help would be greatly received :)

Thanks,

Joe

EDIT: I've managed to capture an email trace and then attached as a PNG. All @hotmail.com are one users address, @gmail.com is the forwarded webmaster@domain address. the last 4 emails are users at the hostname, notably root@ and nobody@. Thanks :)
    addresstraceedited.png

#1 joe.odell, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Check if server hostname is FQDN(Fully qualified domain name) and ping report shows server's primary IP if you ping to hostname. If you are seeing server's primary IP in ping report then it indicate that A records are added for hostname else you need to add A records. Have you also setup rDNS for server IP?

Check all these settings first.

3. joe.odell

joe.odell Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

WHM reports it without the trailing dot, but the hostname is correct otherwise, is this something that I need to fix?
    (Sorry for having to ask, I just know that some parts of the interface don't require the trailing dot, so want to make sure)
    Pinging the hostname gives me the correct main IP address, and reverse DNS is set up to the hostname.

It seems that it's receiving the mail, forwarding it, then trying to deliver it to a local account (for which then reaches the catch-all) and is the catch-all is set to :fail:, as I want to have it, it generates the error that is sent to the sender.
    I've managed to get a temporary workaround to this by setting the catch-all to /dev/null (not perfect at all), but this means that the main is indeed successfully delivered to the intended recipient's forwarder without causing any other delays, and without copies being sent to the root/webmaster account.

Thanks,

Joe

4. joe.odell

joe.odell Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Opened a ticket and got an awesome response and now everything's fixed!

Turns out I just needed to run the following scripts to repair everything from settings and restart apache :)

/scripts/updateuserdomains
    /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    /scripts/restartsrv_httpd

Thanks for your help storminternet :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Joe