SOLVED Emails are going into spam

craigthomas

Aug 1, 2019
england
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi

My client is having problems now when most of the emails they are receiving are going into spam. Although this never happened before with regular emails off their customers.

Any help will be greatful

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
More on what @Babene7 mentioned with spam assassin, viewing the headers of the emails that are going to spam would show if SpamAssassin was scoring and what it was scoring them at, they should also be marked as ***SPAM*** if SpamAssassin is scanning them.

craigthomas

Aug 1, 2019
england
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
The spam assassian is disabled so that is not causing the problem. I am new to Cpanel as I have taken on a client and they have used Cpanel for years but dont know how to use it. I am trying to fix a few problems for them. Its just strange why after all the years they have used the emails its only in the past few days that there has been a problem and no changes have been made to the system.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @craigthomas

Is the client using a mail client such as Outlook or MacMail? In some cases the Mail Client or an Antivirus moves mail once it's received to the local machine. If SpamAssassin is disabled and there are no mail filters on the account this is the next thing I would troubleshoot. One really easy way to troubleshoot whether or not the issue is the mail client is to do the following:

1. Have the client completely close out all mail clients that may be connecting to the server
2. Go to cPanel>>Email>>Email Accounts -> Manage and change the password - DO NOT update the mail client.
3. Have the client open the mail client and attempt to connect - essentially you want to ensure that the mail client does not continue to have a connection (stale or otherwise) esablished to the server.
4. Once you can be certain that there is no connection, check email using webmail to determine whether or not it's continuing to go to spam.

craigthomas

Aug 1, 2019
england
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi @cPanelLauren

Thanks for your reply and I will look into this. The thing that gets me is that there are several users around the UK and they all use the same email [email protected], but on different mail clients and they are all getting the same problem with the same emails. So the problem seems to be at the cPannel area.

Will still look at what you have said.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
HI @craigthomas

If they're checking their mail using IMAP which I would assume if several people are checking the same inbox they are, it only takes one mail client marking it as spam to see this replicated on all the other mail clients as IMAP synchronizes across devices.

I do want to point out that it is really not a good idea to set up an account like this which multiple people in different locations have access to. What may be the best thing to do is to create a forwarder to forward [email protected] -> any email address that needs it. This can be done by going to cPanel>>Email>>Forwarders.

craigthomas

Aug 1, 2019
england
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
It has been fixed. They had set some spam settings on one of the mail clients they are using and it was affecting all other mail clients. They will now only be using one mail client for all of their systems.

Thanks for all you help.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @craigthomas

I'm glad to hear it's been resolved and thank you for following up to let us know what the issue was!